News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peroxide Treatment Detailed Instructions

Started by Dan, June 07, 2009, 05:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Ivory. It is yellowed. Look @ the pick of the underside of the earcap. I am shooting for this for the whole phone. It currently looks more light beige than ivory.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve

I am sorry to post in this thread, as it is informative (Mods please delete if necessary) but the results are amazing! the outside of the cap appears to be the same as the inside. is this the result in person as well?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan

Yes it is Steve, it is exciting. We'll see how the rest of it goes tomorrow. It actually looks better in person than on the pics
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

I wasn't going to do it tonight, but when I remembered this Princess shell, I could not resist the temptation.  The shell itself is crap because it is so cracked and broken.  But I think I will do some bleaching tonight and see what happens in the morning.  After all I can't go wrong here!

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

Bill I'll be really interested to see how it goes with your Princess phone because I have two aqua 500s that I'd like to try the peroxide on.  Is your Princess an aqua phone?

-Matt
-Matt

Phonesrfun

I am pretty sure it is aqua.

With all that discoloration, it almost looks sea-green.

I went kind of heavy on the mix, so I need to watch it carefully.  I don't want blotches.

-Bill
-Bill G

foots

My 554 looks to be that same light blue color and is yellowed, though no quite that badly. What are your plans for that handset?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan

I did a white princess about that yellowed. It took three applications of 6 hours each @ 20%. That's a good one to experiment on. Keep us posted, thanks. My aqua was barely yellow, so yours is a better test.

Phonesrfun

Well, it did change.  This is the result of about 8 hours and a 40% solution.

The interesting thing is that it seems to be loosing its color entirely, but only on the parts that were originally UV damaged.  Notice that the parts that were always bright aqua are still bright aqua.  The parts that were very yellowed now appear to be a very light blue.  The photo makes it seem almost light gray, but in reality it is a very light blue.

There is also that white-ish film on the surface that people have talked about.  I will try to polish that out and see what becomes of that.  I may need to treat it some more too.  Somewhere under all that UV damage is color, dang it!

As usual, I am running late for work this morning, so I will take this up again tonight.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Bill , I used 40% on a moss green and it didn't work so well. I feel 20% is the most you should go on colored ones. It is lighter though. 40 kicks butt on white ones.

"Burnt" Moss green from 40%

Dan

Here are the results of 20% one  six hour application on a 1956 WE500 soft tenite Ivory.

1 )  Inside of shell for comparison sake

2 )  Outside of shell post - peroxide

3 )  original overall BEFORE peroxide

4 )  Overall result so far after one application

Better, but I am going another round and I think it will be where it needs to be. More pictures to follow tomorrow.

JorgeAmely

Slightly off topic:

I am curious to know how do you place text in between picture attachments?
Jorge

bingster

That's done by linking to photos uploaded somewhere else, like photobucket.  It can't be done with the forum's picture uploader function.
= DARRIN =

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 09, 2009, 08:57:54 PM
Slightly off topic:

I am curious to know how do you place text in between picture attachments?

Send me a private message, my high school son helped me figure it all out. It's not hard

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan on June 09, 2009, 08:24:31 PM
Bill , I used 40% on a moss green and it didn't work so well. I feel 20% is the most you should go on colored ones. It is lighter though. 40 kicks butt on white ones.

I am wondering about the use of bleaching on a darker phone at all.  After all, by definition, the bleaching process is to lighten.  We are trying to get rid of the discoloration that we don't want, but I think the bleadhing process is going to attack all colors, even the ones we would like to keep.

I am also thinking about something I read that the UV discoloration that the hard ABS plastic goes through is due to the chemical interraction that something in the plastic has gone through over time, aided by the UV light.   So, I am thinking that something in the color has actually chemically changed. 

So, will bleaching bring back those darker colors of the aqua blue or moss green phones?  I am starting to think not.  It may be that the old fashioned sanding and polishing method will have to do for those colors.

White, ivory, and light beige are another story.  Especially white.  In that case, we want the absence of all color.

Dan, I am starting to see that the results I got on my piece of junk princess were similar to your moss green 500.  You must not have done the handset, because it still looks good.

So,  I am going to go back to the drawing board and do two more batches tonight.  One, I am going to do a second application on the junker aqua princess body at 20 percent.  Two, I think I have another white princess shell that is really light damaged.  It is not cracked and would look great if I could do what the toothpaste ads used to say and "get the yellow out".  I will probably do a 40% application on that.

What about D/P.... If you are following this, have you done a darker phone? If so, what were the results.  You may have already said, but I have seen so many posts on this subject here and in other places that I can't keep up.

Cheers to all,

-Bill

-Bill G