News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peroxide Treatment Detailed Instructions

Started by Dan, June 07, 2009, 05:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Here's what it says on the bulb itself.  Also a picture of the phone I'm going to try it on, a white (yellowed) AE 80.  I also have a couple of white WE 500s.  One is not so bad, it cleaned up fairly well, the other I have labeled as "cream" color so it will be next.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Tape off the white cradle area and use it as a guide. You will get spectacular results , especially with 40% :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Ed D

Briny,

I may be wrong, but that lamp looks to be an infrared heat lamp.  The box says Sun Lamp, but the bulb is red, and also says Infrared.  Be careful you don't cook the phone!

Ed

Dan

40% would work well under a simple 100 watt incandescent lamp. It would work in ambient light even.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

I decided to use a regular 100w light bulb, since there was some doubt about the lamp.  Plus it was easier to judge the distance to use.  I'm not sure I made the mix right though.  I followed Dan's instructions to a T, except that it took 5 zaps at 15 seconds each to get it to thicken.  But when I added the Oxiclean, it didn't froth or bubble like Dan's example and wasn't as liquidy, but the mixture seamed to be more "foamy" and still the consistency of shave cream.  Also conspicuous by it's absence is any odor, it's entirely odorless.

Anyway, it's cookin'.  I'll find out in the morning if it worked.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

20% didn't really do that much to it. 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Round 2.  I used straight 40% this time, and since the volume in Dan's recipe makes enough to cover two phones, I started treatment on the AE80 I was wanting to treat anyway.  I also lowered the light about 6-8".  Stay tuned.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

It will crust up and you'll have to rinse and wipe it off in the morning. I am sure you will be happy!

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on April 05, 2011, 09:56:14 PM
It will crust up and you'll have to rinse and wipe it off in the morning. I am sure you will be happy!

Yeah, I noticed that.  You have to reconstitute it to clean it off if it drys up.  Also found out the switch hook plungers can be removed by bending the tabs back just far enough for the plungers to clear.  I found that out when I was cleaning it off and noticed one was missing.  Fortunately I was cleaning it over the kitchen sink, and my hand is small enough to reach down into the garbage disposal and retrieve it.

7 hours was long enough, it worked some.  I'm noticing some of the "blotching" others mentioned though.  It'll take one or two more treatments.  I don't know which is more of a hassle, several treatments this way or just sanding the darn thing.  I was able to pick up a detail sander today that somebody else here mentioned they use.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The AE 80 after 1 treatment at 40%.  Digital cameras being what the way they are, it's not as white as it appears.  Some blotching also.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Gee Briny, I was going to say....You bleached your white 80 into a white 80E! Nice going!!

Terry

Greg G.

Round 3 for the 80e and round 2 for the 80 is in the oven (so to speak).  Only thing different this time is I whipped the mixture a little more to get the Oxiclean mixed to dissolve better, (I'm only using a fork) and in the process it seemed to produce more mixture (more foamy, more like shave cream).  I also put the parts in two separate 2 gallon ziploc bags to try to keep them from drying out.  We'll see in the morning how they turn out.
- Mike Row
e

GG

I'm going to guess the blotching is due to imperfect mixing by hand, compared to high-shear mixing in the blender.  Mixtures of any type that are mixed by hand may look visually OK but not be chemically uniform.  The non-uniformity could lead to variations in the chemical reaction.  Also non-uniformity in applying the compound to the surfaces may lead to variations as well, so doing it during the day when one can re-apply the compound a number of times may help. 

Possible improvement in the process (something I'm going to test when I get started on this):  there is bakery packaging in the supermarket bakeries, typically for cakes, consisting of a rectangular dark plastic base with a clear rectangular cover that snaps on.  I finished eating some goodies and noticed that the packaging is just about the right size for a phone housing, not including handset etc.  This may enable covering a housing in a manner that reduces evaporative drying of the retrobright mixture.  (Then do the handset etc. the next day.) 

Also the heat lamp may be drying out the compound prematurely, compared to a fluorescent lamp.  If we all keep track of what does & doesn't work, eventually we'll get this down to a convergent process.

Dan

Greg G.

Quote from: GG on April 06, 2011, 05:26:50 AM

I'm going to guess the blotching is due to imperfect mixing by hand, compared to high-shear mixing in the blender.  Mixtures of any type that are mixed by hand may look visually OK but not be chemically uniform.  The non-uniformity could lead to variations in the chemical reaction.  Also non-uniformity in applying the compound to the surfaces may lead to variations as well, so doing it during the day when one can re-apply the compound a number of times may help. 

Possible improvement in the process (something I'm going to test when I get started on this):  there is bakery packaging in the supermarket bakeries, typically for cakes, consisting of a rectangular dark plastic base with a clear rectangular cover that snaps on.  I finished eating some goodies and noticed that the packaging is just about the right size for a phone housing, not including handset etc.  This may enable covering a housing in a manner that reduces evaporative drying of the retrobright mixture.  (Then do the handset etc. the next day.) 

Also the heat lamp may be drying out the compound prematurely, compared to a fluorescent lamp.  If we all keep track of what does & doesn't work, eventually we'll get this down to a convergent process.

I'm not using the sun lamp, it's just a regular 100w bulb.  Can't use the blender because I use that to mix food stuffs in on a daily basis, can't be mixing toxics in it.
- Mike Row
e