News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Whoever Invented the G Handset....

Started by George Knighton, January 12, 2013, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Whoever invented the G handset is a genius!  :-) 

With my 5302 and its Bakelite G1, I noticed a huge improvement over the F1.  Then noticed it again with my 1956 500 and its G1.

And now for some reason I've fallen in love with 701's and 702's, which all seem to have G3.  The G design was awesome to start with, and now they're lighter with the G3.

I can spend very long periods of time on a G3 and accomplish a lot.  It sort of makes me wonder how hard we're making it for ourselves being on cell phones and Bluetooth all of the time.  I know the frequency response of a G3 handset with its transmitter and receiver is not as good as an iPhone 5, but when you take into account the Bluetooth connection and the varying signal quality even on LTE, I can't help thinking that I'm better off on the G3.
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

It was the Bell labs that "invented" the G handset.  There is a Bell System paper from 1949 that addresses the design criteria and the frequency response, and the improvements over the F handset.  The topic of the paper was regarding the total redesign of the telephone to make the 500.

The G handset with the T1 transmitter and the u1 receiver is designed to be matched up with a network, in place of the simple induction coil.  Because of the increases in both transmitting and receiving response due to redesign of the elements and of the handset itself, the G handset is usually uncomfortably loud when used on a 302/5302 phone.  Noticeably louder as you have found.

The phone company would have used a regular G handset on a 5302 only on exceptionally long loops.  Otherwise they had what has become known as a GF handset for the 5302, which is a G handset shell that has the F1 transmitter and the HA1 receiver elements in it.  That combination is more matched for the induction coil in the 5302, and still benefits by the increased performance brought on by the design of the handset itself.

The paper I am talking about can be re posted to this thread if you are intersted.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

I remeber that Bell Labs paper on the 500 and the G handset, I read it before. I did not save it, I am sure a search could find it but since I am inherently lazy, can you repost it Bill?
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

There are several good Bell System Technical Journal articles mentioned in this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3628.msg48324#msg48324

All are available on the Alcatel-Lucent site.  Here is a link to one:

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol32-1953/articles/bstj32-3-611.pdf
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Attached is the pdf file I was referring to, but all references, including Paul's are excellent.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

The G-style handset is an international hit too, over here in the UK they became popular on a lot of things, usually imported of course, like character phones (Mickey mouse, Snoopy & the like, once BT or the GPO stopped fitting their own style handset) aswell as even BT-branded phones like the Empress (the vaguely 202-shaped thing with flowery decals, part of the British Telecom Special Range), also even one of the Linesman phone 286A (there were 4 versions, mine has the G-style handset) and even today, non-BT payphones, when you can find such things, tend to be fitted with G-style handsets rather than something that is unique, and of course, the bluetooth handsets you can buy to use with mobile phones, they're generally based upon the G-type handset too (aswell as a couple of other designs)... :)

So, it has to be the most successful and popular design for the telephone, seemingly spanning 8 decades (1940's to 2010's) from it's initial designs... :D