News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Football Fun with Red WE500

Started by Slal, August 21, 2014, 07:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

The phone originally had riveted feet, probably suede covered if the phone was made in 1957 or before. The screw-on feet were probably added when the phone was remanufactured at the WE service center, before being leased to another customer. These triangular neoprene feet were riveted on new 500 sets from about 1958-1963.

I'm still trying to get more precise dates for the red plugs. We know that they are mentioned in 2/69 and 7/74 documents--so at least 5 years. There's a green 2500 refurbished in 1-74 on Ebay right now with a long green cord and green 505A plug, but the cord was probably added in the field. I'm looking for all-matching-dates 500s from the 70s, with original factory cords,  to try to determine when they switched to clear mounting cords.

Still looking for dates that red phones were available. It was one of the colors introduced in 1953, but apparently not made during all the following years. Certainly there were fewer red phones made than say light beige or white.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

QuoteMy "sports TV room" doesn't have outlet & will have to carry existing phone line (that's stapled to baseboard) into it.  A small box on the baseboard might be better than having to perf drywall, install a modular jack, buy an adapter for 4 prong plug, etc.

PM me your address and I'll send you a baseboard connecting block that will do the trick. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Slal

For Sargeguy, thanks.  Will PM & take you up on the box.

Dennis, if phone is worth pursuing, always helpful to have contact list of people or who have special skills, spare parts, etc.  Appreciate it.

Based on Poplar1's last post, refurbish dates don't seem to match.  (Feet would've been riveted.)

Two more photos then, to help answer three questions as wind things up.

1.) Is phone worth putting any money into it?  Looks like 1953 with components from when it was last refurbished-- maybe June 1971.  (That date doesn't seem possible though because receiver & transmitter are from September.  One could be a seven?  Serviced at subscriber's house around that time?  Will never know...)

2.) If red is 53, where is this?  None of the color components appear to have it on them.  "Dash 53" was for ordering or the practice had been abandoned by 1971?   

3.) What do "hash marks" on plastic parts indicate?

Example: receiver cup has "S 1 71" around the seven holes.  Also around the them is what looks like nine hash marks.   Assume these marks have some significance or they wouldn't have put them there. ; )

thx

--Bruce

Dennis Markham

The bottom is marked R671.  That means it was repaired (or refurbished) in June of '71 which matches those dates of the plastic in  1971.  The original base was probably a Black 500 from '53 as the ringer bells indicate.  The 9C dial is from 1969.    The hash marks or ticks are probably an indication as to the month in 1971 that it was made.  It could be the quarter.  Not sure on that one.

The back side of a dial on a  Red phone from before that time (a #7 series dial) would have been marked with the date and -53 which indicates Red.  I don't see it on that 9c Dial but perhaps, as you mentioned it was made and the phone refurbished after the time they stopped marking them.

Whether or not it's worth putting money into it, that is up to you.  To me I'd rather look for an earlier set that was made with the early Tenite (soft plastic) sometime before mid-1959.  They still show up on ebay.  If you're patient you will find one that is reasonable. 

Yours still deserves a good home.  Clean it up and it will look and work great....until a better one comes along.  I wouldn't go to the expense (myself) in having suede feet riveted on the base.  That base has been blacked out with whatever kind of paint they used to often hide original markings.  My 2c worth.

Slal

About what I figured.  "Collectable" needs date that hasn't been painted over.  (Took a long time to carefully lift bits of the paint off to uncover model, month, year, etc.)

From your website, also gather 6 hole receiver cap and handset cord form 50's also desirable for collectable phone.  (Someone has a real beauty in the one you restored BTW.)

This one was just for fun and posting about it turned into a good learning experience.

"Football phone" idea kind of snowballed though.  A&M alumni wants red "Aggie" phone; Ole Miss fan wants a dark blue one...

Biggest surprise was from my 80 year old Mom-- born in Alabama & life long fan.  She saw mine & wanted one too.    As luck would have it, found one with a G6 handset (Mom's getting a little hard of hearing) & clicked "Buy It Now" for 40 bucks. 

Probably paid too much again, but well worth it to see delighted smile on her face. : )

Phones are a lot of fun, but better know what to look for and what to ask about before bidding or buying them on e-bay.

Thanks again for all the replies & information. 

--Bruce

Jim Stettler

I randomly click on a page of unread topics when bored.
While  cruising  un-read posts  I came across this topic.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12483.msg131386#msg131386
As I read thru it I found an interesting off topic tangent regarding plugs and jacks.

If anyone wants to post  photos of the jacks and plugs mentioned please do so.

JMO,
Jim
Kenton K's color question:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12483.msg131394#msg131394
Poplar1's BSP info here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12483.msg131447#msg131447
Poplar1's current summation  here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12483.msg131520#msg131520
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.