and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

who wants a peek?

Started by bwanna, October 24, 2009, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

under the manhole cover?

http://tinyurl.com/yfddcht

this is on my facebook, set privacy to open so everyone should be able to see.
donna

JorgeAmely

I am afraid of tight spaces. 
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Wow! Very interesting. Please as it is possible, post more photos. It's interesting to see how things operate.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Even a Bell System manhole cover!  Awesome and interesting.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

It says I must log into my account to view photos.  ??? I don't have an account there.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bwanna

sorry, bill. i screwed up & posted the wrong link.

i think you should be able to view using this link.

http://tinyurl.com/yfddcht
donna

Bill Cahill

Holy sceptic, Batman!!!
So you do the same work as Ed Norton??
Great proffession....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bwanna

that's the TELEPHONE "sewers" bill :)  way more hi tech than ed norton's work ;)

jorge, i am a bit claustrophobic, also. i was a little scared the first time i went into the  "sewer".

d/p, next time i do a section cut. i post some pics of the splicing.

tom, most of the covers are still bell system. even tho the name has changed several times, they didn't go around replacing the covers.
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
I notice both of the links are the same, how come it didn't work for some the first time, but now it does ?
D/P

bwanna

dan,you are very observant :)   i edited the original post.  :o
donna

Dan/Panther

They say you should always read the fine print.
I missed the "last edited" part. :-[
D/P

bingster

Fascinating photos, Donna!  I've always wondered what was down those holes, and never knew until now.  Here's a question:  The phone companies were/are famous for keeping thinks up to date, but do you ever find some old relic of the past still in service in any of those spaces?
= DARRIN =

bwanna

bingster, you might be shocked to find out that alot of the feed cable out of the central offices is original cable. we have cable still in use that was placed in the '30's.

the splice i have open in the pic contains a 1500 pair pulp(paper insulated) cable. i didn't look at the date on the platte, but pulp was phased out in the 60's, when pic (plastic insulated) came on the scene.

as far as any relics, there isn't much in there besides the cable/splice cases. the manholes fill up with water so anything else would get ruined in short order.
donna

Dan/Panther

What gauge, and is the wire solid, or Stranded.
Is the paper covered wire, covered with anything else except paper, and is the paper colored ?
D/P

bwanna

d/p  the guage could be 26, 24 or 22. usually pulp is 22gg. solid conductor, no stranded conductors in telco wire.  the paper is beige color with trace of red green or blue. no color code to pulp. the sheath around the pairs is lead, sometimes rubber over the lead.
donna