News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dialer Question

Started by debeaune, July 06, 2014, 05:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Have just completed this AE80, great advise on the cap, rings beautifully now.  Purchased the ..47uf 630VDC Mylar/Polyester Capacitors on Ebay, great seller, quick delivery, thanks.  I am trying to put a dial number card on the dialer but am not having any success removing the plastic dialer. I rotate until it stops, place the paper clip in the hole but there is nothing to depress. I even tried like on the 500s and kept the paper clip in the hole during my 1st rotation, nothing.  Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated...Tim

TelePlay

Hold the finger wheel steady with one hand and use a screwdriver with the appropriate flat bit to unscrew that big, brass screw in the middle of the finger wheel. The screw comes out with a big flat washer behind it and then the finger wheel can be removed by slipping it out from under the finger stop.

The number card for the finger wheel is a 3 piece item plus the number card, a retaining ring, a backing metal plate and an acetate window. The backing plate is removed by slightly rotating the backing plate out of the catch when looking at the retaining ring from the back side. It looks like your clear finger wheel has the metal part on the back of the finger wheel that holds the retainer assembly in place on the finger wheel

I don't see that item here, just the finger wheel and its retaining screw.

debeaune

John, thanks.  The large screw in the middle is under the plastic cover, I can't get to it.  This type has the small paper clip hole by the 6.

unbeldi

Quote from: debeaune on July 06, 2014, 05:44:00 PM
John, thanks.  The large screw in the middle is under the plastic cover, I can't get to it.  This type has the small paper clip hole by the 6.
This finger wheel does not belong on this phone.

TelePlay

Was down taking a picture of my AE clear finger wheel parts.

This is what I was referring to as all the parts.

From you photo, I couldn't tell if the retainer was there or not. Maybe unbeldi got it right. But, how did they mount that and how does it come off?

This photo is just for reference, for others, at some point should they need it.

jsowers

Tim, have you tried simply rotating the clear fingerwheel counter-clockwise? Put a finger in the "1" and another in the "7" and turn it to the left until it gives. That's how I always got the fingerwheel off the AE80 we had when I was a kid. I didn't use a paper clip in a hole.

That being said, don't force it too hard. I didn't have to push it hard to get it to come loose. To put it back on, put it where the 9 hole is over the 0 and turn clockwise until it snaps back in.

This is all from memory--about 35 years ago--so I could be wrong.
Jonathan

stub

Tim,
       Check this out . Scroll to reply 6 - Hope this helps.  TelePlay shows the correct finger wheel assy for your phone. AE Buyers Guide ,1957, pg 8 .   stub 

http://tinyurl.com/o8amkq4
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: stub on July 07, 2014, 01:16:06 AM
Check this out . Scroll to reply 6 - Hope this helps.

Stub

Iis this, what looks like to be within the red circle under the plastic finger wheel of this subject phone, the flat tab that must be moved inward with a pin type tool to clear a plastic tab on the finger wheel underside and allow that finger wheel to then be rotated to take it off?

I also read somewhere that this type of finger wheel, that is on this phone now, did not use a number card. It used a sticker stuck to the top, outside of the finger wheel. I've seen those stickers on OPW and always wondered why they existed. Now I know.

stub

John,
         Yes, just insert tool and push down and that is all, then twist finger wheel clockwise and it should release. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

For future reference, the parts shown in the exploded dial finger wheel assembly above has been cleaned, oiled, reassembled and mounted on a phone that I had with a dial blank. This is what those parts look like including a number card. It's a nice looking dial with that chrome number card retainer. The D1 base is bare metal with a protective clean urethane finish to prevent oxidation. That is a light reflection on the number card between the "4" and "5."