News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Redbar "1000", pics and question

Started by BDM, March 03, 2009, 11:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Ok boys, just received it today. This set is nice and very clean. It's an early metal version. The cords are original and Kellogg marked/tagged. But, the handset cord is going to need replacement. It's brittle and already cracking.

Now, the sad part. The network block has cracked. Besides super glue, what would you recommend for a better glue? I'm going to remove the block, and repair it. The phone is WAY to nice not too................. One thing, I really like the modular design. Very modern for it's time. This has to be the easiest phone to service!

Finally, the crack. Trouble is, it effects the switch hook operation by flexing.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Brian;
Very nice condition 1000, I personally think the superglue with light sanding and polishing should make for a flawless repair. It works great on bakelite for me.
I agree everything just unplugs. Great looking, easy to work on also.

I said great looking.... >:(

I said easy to work on...... ::)
Well it worked in the commercial.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

I came across a Kellogg phone similar to this at the local antique store for 50 Dollars, I'd have to take a better look at it, but I'd swear that it's the same model phone.  The only difference I can see is the one in town has a button on the top right, it's white and about the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller.  Any idea what the button would be for?
- Tom

BDM

Possibly a signal button like those used in hotel phones. Or something like that :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

I have seen a lot of Kellogg "Select-O-Phone" intercom systems for sale. They often have a button similar to what you described:
http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/selectophone/selectophoneindex.htm

AET

Yup, it would definately be the button on the Select-O-Phone there!  Looks identical to that 1948 Model Shown.  Except I think it may have a straight cord?  And the case may be a bit more rounded in the front, hard to tell from the photo.
- Tom

Stephen Furley

So *that's* why it's called a Redbar; I had been wondering.

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan/Panther
I agree everything just unplugs. Great looking, easy to work on also.

Really nice phone, Brian.  A Redbar is one phone I don't yet have, but definitely fits the kinds of phones I like. I'd love to see a pic of the innards. :)

BDM

Innards? As to what's under the network block? Just flat strap wire going to the various connection points. In the pick, you'll notice the network coil is on the right, and condenser on the left. They plug in like radio tubes. Couldn't be easier.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Stephen Furley

Quote from: BDM on March 16, 2009, 10:35:21 PM
Innards? As to what's under the network block? Just flat strap wire going to the various connection points. In the pick, you'll notice the network coil is on the right, and condenser on the left. They plug in like radio tubes. Couldn't be easier.

Sounds like the construction is even more different to our ones than I thought, though I suspect that the circuit would be almost identical; does anydody have a circuit diagram for a 500?

bingster

= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: Stephen Furley on March 17, 2009, 04:12:55 AM
Quote from: BDM on March 16, 2009, 10:35:21 PM

Sounds like the construction is even more different to our ones than I thought, though I suspect that the circuit would be almost identical; does anydody have a circuit diagram for a 500?

The circuit/network for the "Redbar" replicates the W.E. 101A or 302 circuit. Though the overall performance of this circuit/network is slightly less"boost" than said W.E. network.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI