News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of ringer is this?

Started by mienaichizu, July 03, 2009, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I am starting to restore my NEC Type 4 in aqua color telephone. When I opened it, it has an unusual ringer. I tested it and it does not works, no notes nor specs are written inside of the phone. Below are the pics of the cleaned housing. It really looks nice because its true color has been revealed. To complete this I need a transmitter and a cap, well, where can I get those parts?? ???

McHeath

What's that button do?  This is a fun looking phone, it looks like a prop from a late 1930's Buck Rogers film, and the button would summon the forces of doom. :D

JorgeAmely

Hello sir:

I recommend you substitute the handset while you look for the exact parts.

I don't see a ringing capacitor, but you may not need one if this phone was used in a customized, non western intercom or phone system. I don't see a network either. Is it attached to the housing? Although you don't need one to make a simple phone.

NEC is a japanese company, it will be interesting to investigate how the phone system in that country worked for the time period you estimate this thing is. I know there is a website of japanese rotary phones. I can send you the link on Tuesday.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

To attempt to answer the original question, it does not appear to ba a frequency ringer.  Looks like a straight line ringer with one coil instead of 2.  In fact, it looks to me to be the same physical ringer as BrineyBay's NEC type 3 except his has the standard two coils.  The fact that a ringer has one or two coils should not matter, as long as the coil resistance and condenser (capacitor) are matched for proper impedance.  After all, a WE C4 ringer only has one coil.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Even my Type 3 has a hard time ringing.  Bill and Chuck messed with it for a good 30-45 minutes or so trying to get it to ring at the phone show.  It only rang when they hooked a capacitor directly to the ringer coils and gave it a jolt.  That only showed that the ringer coils were good, still won't ring in "normal" mode.  Something to do with the way the electronics are set up, it's different.  You can ask Bill what exactly they did to test the ringer coil.  Are there any schematics with it?

Also, did the housing look the same as the handset when you got it?  If so, what did you do to get it back to it's original color?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

This looks like an odd DC ringer. My guess: intercom phone. The bell will probably ring at lo voltage.
Again guessing, resistance between 100 and 200 ohms, ringing loud and clear at 6 volts.
Probably no cap, and no transformer/induction coil.
The ringer may act as a coil/shunt in series with the battery, this makes it possible to put more than 2 telephones on the line.

dsk

mienaichizu

the phone seems to be an intercom, there's no schematics attached to the phone so I have really no idea, only a date at the bottom and the phone's manufacturers name.

mienaichizu

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 03, 2009, 12:32:49 PM
Hello sir:

I recommend you substitute the handset while you look for the exact parts.

I don't see a ringing capacitor, but you may not need one if this phone was used in a customized, non western intercom or phone system. I don't see a network either. Is it attached to the housing? Although you don't need one to make a simple phone.

NEC is a japanese company, it will be interesting to investigate how the phone system in that country worked for the time period you estimate this thing is. I know there is a website of japanese rotary phones. I can send you the link on Tuesday.

Jorge is right, maybe I can look up for a substitute handset for it. I already contacted a fellow collector for parts if ever he may have. This phone does not have a network, maybe dsk is right that this may be an intercom

mienaichizu

This is how the phone looks like before its restoration. A black handset may fit on it to match the black button.

And Mc. Heath, if you push it, something bad might happen ;D

mienaichizu

Quote from: Brinybay on July 03, 2009, 01:56:49 PM

did the housing look the same as the handset when you got it?  If so, what did you do to get it back to it's original color?

yes it did, I just cleaned it with regular dishwashing liquid and nylon sponge to remove the grime. Did it over 5 times to reveal the original color, it looks like its a century of grime and dirt ;D above is the photo before cleaning

HobieSport

I remember when you first got the green NEC, Ramil. What a big difference now that it is cleaned up. I really like the shape of these phones.  I'd love to find one in black with a dial to compliment my modest "international collection" of mid century phones.
-Matt

Steve

It's looking good Ramil , but for the love of God, DONT PUSH THAT BUTTON!!!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

mienaichizu

its looking good now, well I hope I can find the replacement parts of a substitute handset for it to complete this phone. I think it would take time to find that since this is kinda rare in here.

JorgeAmely

This website of Japanese rotary phones, may have some information about your NEC phone:

http://www.naonao.jp/tel_eng/html/tel/index.htm

Try asking for information at this address:

info@naonao.jp

Good luck!
Jorge

Greg G.

Ramil!  You've been holding out on us!  I just found your blog!  I'm not usually into payphones, but this one is awesome!

http://tinyurl.com/ml8w7n
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e