News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Holy Grail Of WE500 Sets

Started by Dan/Panther, October 11, 2014, 10:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

A 1949 (My Birth Year) WE500 just finished selling on Ebay for $918.00.
It was for auction by a member here on the forum. I had bid $777.77. Just not enough.
Well I'll have to wait for the next one.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Unforunately, I can't exactly get a quality Birthday phone, unless it was built by Cortelco, since I was born in 1999...

Good luck finding a well-built corded phone after 1984...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

For posterity:

"WAS ORIGINALLY  BELLS LABS TRIAL PHONE Dated 10-49; B1102 B.T.L. TRIAL IS BLACKED OUT; THE BASE IS DATED 10--49; THE BELL IS  AN EARLY PRODUCTION 2CA DATED 5-49; 311A EQUALIZER DATED OCT 10 1949; 425A NETWORK DATED 5-49; DIAL IS A 7A DATED 2-52; MOUNTING CORD IS DATED 57; HANDSET CORD DATED 64; TRANSMITTER DATED 10-23-64; RECEIVER DATED 4-13-55; TRANSMITTER CAP DATED 10-56; RECEIVER CAP DATED 5-55; GI HANDSET DATED 56; COVER IS DATED 8-8-57; DIALS OUT RECEIVES CALLS; DOESN'T RING"

Kenton K

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 11, 2014, 11:25:44 PM
Unforunately, I can't exactly get a quality Birthday phone, unless it was built by Cortelco, since I was born in 1999...

Good luck finding a well-built corded phone after 1984...

I feel you.

Wanted: 1997 birthday phone.

Maybe we could get birthday cell phones!

KK

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 11, 2014, 10:05:02 PM
A 1949 (My Birth Year) WE500 just finished selling on Ebay for $918.00.
It was for auction by a member here on the forum. I had bid $777.77. Just not enough.
Well I'll have to wait for the next one.

D/P
Personally I say, that I would be glad not to have won it at that price. This winner is hard to beat if he wants something and the best you can do is drive up the price. If you do happen to win, you would have spent too much.
Spending that kind of money on a phone that doesn't even look like a 1949 set, seems a little much. Let it cost 3-400, ok, I can see it for not being complete. The Morris set seems like a bargain now, against this.

Take away all the plastics, HS, dial, and cords. How much would a 1949 base be going for?

Dan/Panther

Think how I feel. That phone was made the same month and year I was born, on top of that, Had I won the phone ( I Bid on it ), it was scheduled in the listing to be DELIVERED ON MY BIRTHDAY the 18th.

D/P

Let me get back to my crying please....

Dan/Panther

Unbeldi;

THIS,  Did not look like the photo below when I got it.
I just hope it went to a great home.
D/P

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 12, 2014, 11:26:07 AM
Think how I feel. That phone was made the same month and year I was born, on top of that, Had I won the phone ( I Bid on it ), it was scheduled in the listing to be DELIVERED ON MY BIRTHDAY the 18th.

D/P

Let me get back to my crying please....
Ok, I'll let you...  sorry for bringing it up.

I didn't realize it wasn't just the year.
Sentimental values are usually highly priced indeed.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 12, 2014, 11:36:26 AM
Unbeldi;

THIS,

Yes, IIRC that had at least the correct dial, which is highly distinguished.

AE_Collector

D/P:

Just outlive most others born in 49 and by then few will know what it is when it hits eBay next time. You should get it or scrap value.

In the mean time......I recommend Rum & Coke.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 12, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
In the mean time......I recommend Rum & Coke.
Terry
Yes,  use the best of brands, especially on your birthday, and enjoy how much you saved.

Dan/Panther

A phone like that one, only comes once in a lifetime. There is not enough Rum and Coke right now.
I have never been so depressed in my entire life......... :'(

D/P

Dan/Panther

Keep in mind that there were only 1000 of those made. As far as I know, only 3 known bases are out there. So to put a price on one, would have to be the highest I have ever paid for a phone. One with my birth month and year, double that.
My fear is that base will sit in some collection and not ever be completed. The only person I feel right now, that has  a chance to complete that phone, is Paul F., He does have a 1949 dial.
My 1948 field trial set, does not have an original shell or handset, or cords, but I still feel that justice has been done to the phone.

D/P