News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I bought an AE50 but it will not ring

Started by dlclarkii, November 14, 2013, 09:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

I was not responding to your comment, instead I was referring dlclarkii comment about the length of the cord.

The points that you have brought would be correct, however if the ringer was connected properly by being bridged across L1/L2 in the first place, the line cord (chord) would not have affected it.

dlclarkii

Quote from: TelePlay on November 17, 2013, 08:12:03 PM
Quote from: dlclarkii on November 17, 2013, 05:48:26 PM
I don't know if the chord was to long that there was enough voltage drop to not ring it?  IDK

I wasn't thinking length, I was thinking broken or loose conductors or something like that including what G-Man said, loose or improper connections in the phone or the wall. Try the line cord you removed on another phone or do a continuity test of the conductors and let us know if it fails.

I have DSL through Windstream.  I get a phone line with my DSL.  I have a filter between the modular wall jack and this AE 50. 

The owner said the phone worked and ringed for him.  It must have been modified for 20Hz, I don't know the components well enough to tell whether or not it's modified. 

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: poplar1 on November 17, 2013, 09:50:56 PM
Is the ringer marked 16.6~ or 66.6~?

You probably have hit the nail on the head.

It makes a world of difference if it is 16.6~ instead of 66.6 as was reported earlier!       

G-Man

Would you take another photo showing the rest of the label pasted on the ringer coil? It would be nice if we can see the frequency is 16.6~ or 66.6~.

Now that popular1 has brought it up I suspect that is the case.

If it is a 16.6~ ringer most likely the previous own was able to easily adjust it to respond to 20~ ringing.

Thanks-