News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reproduction "candlestick" phone receiver quality

Started by Bartonpipes, March 07, 2015, 02:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

Has anyone here ever bought of of the reproduction hard rubber receivers that old phone works and a few sellers on ebay offer?

Are they similar in weight to originals? Can they be cleaned up/modified so they don't stick out like a sore thumb when paired with a vintage phone? 

I would love to get the real thing but this seems like the only affordable option for a person with limited funds.
-Andrew

Sargeguy

I used an OPW receiver cap thjat looked pretty good.  How much do they charge?  I just picked up a 143AW for $40 shipped, and a couple 144 receivers with one usable cord for $60. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bartonpipes

Old phone works sells an ABS plastic version with brown cloth cord, shell, cap and U1 element for $30.
-Andrew

Sargeguy

I suppose that's not too bad.  I prefer to buy an entire phone for $30 that has the receiver, but it isn't easy to do.  You can sometimes buy an inexpensive phone, part everything out except the receiver, and make close to your $$$ back.  What type of phone do you need the receiver for?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bartonpipes

It's for a Western Electric 1324C-12 Inter-phone actually. I want it in working condition so when I find another subset I can wire them up together.
-Andrew

Sargeguy

That is another one of my secrets-buy Interphones cheap and cannibalize them for parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bartonpipes

I feel obligated to respectfully disapprove with the method of buying inter-phones for their parts.

The way I see it inter-phones were an important part of a telephone history in their own right and influenced the design of PBX systems later on.

Okay I'll step down from my apple crate now, haha.
-Andrew

Sargeguy

It is definitely a buyer's market for Interphones if you're into that sort of thing.  You could probably buy this one for close to what it will cost for a receiver from OPW if you factor in the shipping from Ontario:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141600511049
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 11, 2015, 06:03:39 PM
It is definitely a buyer's market for Interphones if you're into that sort of thing.

I think the same can be said of the common kinds of PBX and key system gear.  Many 564-type key telephones sell for 20-30 dollars if they sell at all. Many times I have seen phones in excellent condition sit unsold for weeks.  Even the older system phones, Stromberg-Carlson, Kellogg, etc. often go for next to nothing.

@Bartonpipes:  Technically there is nothing wrong with them indeed, they were important developments, historically.