News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd Subset

Started by wds, April 21, 2011, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

There have been many discussions here about the different subsets, and different ways to make a good subset using WE parts and good covers or wood boxes.  This one caught my eye - apparently all you have to do is cut your phone in half on the table saw and just slap a wood cover on it!  Ebay item # 140536291488.  I knew there had to be a better way!
Dave

Wallphone

That is a real piece of ??? ---- work, yeh "work" is the word I was looking for. At least he didn't make a lamp out of it. I think that Ray K. is gonna have trouble selling his 302 covers now that everyone knows a cheaper way to do it.
Doug Pav

paul-f

It's always great to see examples of Yankee ingenuity!  Reuse, repurpose...

Something else to do with all those 302s with broken ears
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

I have a (complete) North TP-6-A sitting on the desk next to me, and NOBODY is touching it with a table saw >:(

Larry

GG

What do folks here think about the acceptability of doing that to 302s that have broken ears?  Assuming the set has no other major historic significance that makes it worth keeping in orig condition or attempting a repair/restore? 

I think it's kinda clever if it can be done well enough to look like a telco job rather than a random field improv by the end-user.  Though, ringer boxes made that way are by definition desktop units since you can't easily wall mount something with screws that have to be accessed from the baseplate side. 

Can someone say more about about 302 covers from Ray K?   Sounds interesting.

bingster

Personally, I don't have a serious problem doing this with otherwise-damaged 302 cases.  An aluminum plate would probably be easier to work than a piece of plywood, and might even be easier to work, too.

The 302 subset covers by Ray Kotke appear to be very nice, but they suffer from the drawback that you mention--they can't be mounted to a wall.  Although, I suppose one could carefully drill two holes in the cover over the positions of the screw holes in the base.  That way one could remove the captive base screws, mount the base to the wall through a couple extra holes in the base, and mount the cover to the base with bolts from the outside. 
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on April 22, 2011, 07:27:02 AM
I suppose one could carefully drill two holes in the cover over the positions of the screw holes in the base.  That way one could remove the captive base screws, mount the base to the wall through a couple extra holes in the base, and mount the cover to the base with bolts from the outside.  

Or do as you say bingster and remove the captive base plate screws, drill right through the plastic cover at the same location as the base plate screws and use 2 long round head screws that go through the cover, metal base and into the wall. Depending on the design of Ray's covers it might even be possible to counter sink the screws into the plastic cover enough to make them flush.

Terry

wds

The candlestick itself seems to have quite a mix of parts on it.  Transmitter cup from a wall phone?  Perch looks like a GPO.  Base looks like a repro - the only part that looks ok is the dial and maybe the receiver.  Good match to the subset.
Dave

Kevin Lane

I am getting a 302 base to make into a subset for my AE21 candlestick, and I will definitely get a cover from Ray Kotke.  The fact that it has to lay flat is ok, as it will live on the floor under my bed.

marty

Hi All;
I am wondering how a "Subset" 'Lives' under a bed ???
THANK YOU Marty