News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spring Is Here

Started by 19and41, April 04, 2015, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Took this with my phone while on my evening walk at work. 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

I remember seeing the dogwoods in Atlanta many years ago when I was there for IBM training on the PS/2. Really beautiful. So are the azaleas. The dogwoods and azaleas here in Piedmont NC aren't quite out yet. We just mowed the yard for the first time today. Our cherry trees are in the midst of blooming. The weeping cherries have just spent their blooms, but the Yoshino cherries and the black cherries are in bloom now. Our property used to be part of the neighbor house's orchard and we've always had lots of unusual trees.

It's nice to see something blooming after a longer than usual winter.
Jonathan

DavePEI

Pffft! You guys and your spring!  :) Humbug! Snowed again last night with more forecast! Still got our huge banks! No bare ground ANYWHERE!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Spring's here too...................

HarrySmith

We don't have Spring in Florida, or Fall or Winter. Just always hot & always green except for 2 or 3 days in January or February where it gets cold. Sometimes down to the low 40's!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I remember the cottonwoods around our family home in Michigan.  Each of the flowers are coming out and taking their turns.  The tree out back is putting out it's green seeds and the squirrels are nipping them off and collecting them under the tree.  The Blue Jays are sailing around with nest makings in their traps.  I guess I like each season and the changes that come with them.  It seems like there are only 2 or 3 months between them now as I get older.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Ahh, it's nice to finally hear those three words! Winter didn't seem nearly as long as I had anticipated; Spring started early!
Leaves aren't on the trees yet,  but every lawn that I've seen is at least over half green, most of them are totally green! Ours is still a bit yellow, but it's thicker and coarser than most, so the green still has a ways to go before the green fully comes through. The coarser part has a plus side, though; it stays green during a drought or dry streak. Suburban lawns around here just turn brown after a hot, dry week during the summer! ;D

Sorry for rubbing salt in your wound about the Spring part, Dave! :-\
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

Now to get out the old B&D and get the back yard mowed.  Aye, that is the rub.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Awwwww, you guys make me sick (just kidding), but it is frustrating to see spring unfolding elsewhere. The good news is that later this week, and into next week, it is to warm up to three of four degrees above 0 c, and next week, is supposed to stay above zero most days even at night...

So you can see the stage of spring here, I took a quick photo out my office window with my webcam.... It doesn't show the huge drifts, but gives you a good overall picture of how far we have to go!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Hate to be another to rub it in, but it's been a 17 degree (Celsius) day here, bright sun, warm, light breeze in the air, very nice day (yesterday too) with not a sight of anything ice-related outside of the freezer...  ;D

19and41

Quote from: DavePEI on April 06, 2015, 12:55:32 PM
Awwwww, you guys make me sick (just kidding), but it is frustrating to see spring unfolding elsewhere. The good news is that later this week, and into next week, it is to warm up to three of four degrees above 0 c, and next week, is supposed to stay above zero most days even at night...

So you can see the stage of spring here, I took a quick photo out my office window with my webcam.... It doesn't show the huge drifts, but gives you a good overall picture of how far we have to go!

At least you can see what's coming,  The wind blows up clouds of pollen and that will be our snow for the next month or so.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on April 06, 2015, 01:54:04 PM
At least you can see what's coming,  The wind blows up clouds of pollen and that will be our snow for the next month or so.
Well, I just had a look at the extended forecast from Friday onwards, and it doesn't look too bad. At least no snow in the forecast. Saturday we missed a bullet when the west end of the Island got hit with another 15 cm of snow and high winds - we only got a cm or snow, and a wee dusting yesterday. But it has stayed below zero, so we haven't gained much ground.

But look at our long range! Yay! Not too warm, and if it comes like they say, we should get a good gradual melt without flooding...
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

I lived in Utah in 1983 and there was a big fast melt and a big fat flood.  To avoid damage in Salt Lake city, they channeled streams through town on city streets lined with fabric and walled with sandbags.  the salt lake rose to its higest levels of the last millennium and it was half salt, half fresh.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=utah+flood+of+1983+pictures&qpvt=utah+flood+of+1983+pictures&qpvt=utah+flood+of+1983+pictures&FORM=IGRE
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Yep, we don't need flooding like that, for sure! It wouldn't take too much with the high banks all over the place..... Hate to see the property slip into the ocean! I had a big 500 lb anchor in the corner of the property until I sold it last year  :)

QuoteAnchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
C*NET 1-651-0001