"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Return of the Blue Filter

Started by McHeath, November 18, 2008, 01:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Our friendly neighborhood glowing blue phones are back:

Quotehttp://cgi.ebay.com/Working-Beautiful-Blue-Western-Electric-Princess-Phone_W0QQitemZ290275591269QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think these phones must have been removed from Three Mile Island or Area 51, what else could account for that otherworldly glow...

BDM

Yup, some nice filtering going on. The "real" color is in the last pic. Ain't such a nice looking phone after all. Nothing that the new & improved "Dan/Panther" cleaning solution wouldn't take care of ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I think the issue is that the seller is taking the photos outside in full sun, but with the white balance on his camera still set for indoors under tungsten.

Dennis Markham

This is a different seller from the last discussion of the aqua phone.  I am familiar with both of them.  One's in Texas and the other is in Mass.   

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on November 18, 2008, 01:18:06 AM
Our friendly neighborhood glowing blue phones are back:

Quotehttp://cgi.ebay.com/Working-Beautiful-Blue-Western-Electric-Princess-Phone_W0QQitemZ290275591269QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think these phones must have been removed from Three Mile Island or Area 51, what else could account for that otherworldly glow...

I'm tellin' ya, they're using one of those Sony Mavica mini-disk cameras. I had one, and it would do the craziest things with colors, particularly blue.  If you took a photo of something green it would come out blue. If you started with blue, it would get crazy blue!

bingster

Quote from: Mark Stevens on November 19, 2008, 07:52:56 AMIf you took a photo of something green it would come out blue.
That feature would definitely come in handy with this particular blue.  It seems more prone to discoloration than the other colors.  And when it yellows, yellow and blue make green.  Lots of unknowing sellers call phones of this color "green" because they've often become so discolored that they don't look like they could have ever been blue.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I really like the phone when it's glowing blue.  When it's normal blue it's not as purty, so if I were a new to phones person and bought this phone and it arrived looking all greenish and dull I'd be sad and possibly mad.

bingster

Methinks Mrs McHeath should do a better job of hiding the sherry.  :P
= DARRIN =

McHeath

JimH

I guess I'd really be disappointed when I took it out of the box and it wasn't truly that blue.....do you think they'd include a pair of blue filter glasses for me to wear when I look at it?
Jim H.

Dan/Panther

It seem to me the only way to get good photos from a digital camera is to use lighting, and kill the flash.
I haven't done that with my new camera, but I've taken the same photo 10 times trying to get the look right, and the flash just overpowers everything.

Let me at it, I'll get the blue out of it...

D/p

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

I find the simplest is daylight, no direct sun and no flash.  Flash never works for me, and it sure makes it hard to see the condition of the dial numbers and look at surface quality on Ebay... :P

When we used to photograph art for accurate detail and color reproduction we either did it in a darkroom with tungsten lights and tungsten film, or just took it outside to the north side of the building and used daylight film or digital.  I've never taken a photo with flash of anything that didn't obscure some details with that harsh direct head-on light.  It just ain't natural.
To show form, I use side lighting, and to get really fancy, a low back key light.

But it would be fun to photograph a nice phone and go overboard with some really dramatic film noir type lighting and angles and atmosphere:  A low slightly tilted angle of an AE40 with venetian blind light patterns, a little cigarette smoke, maybe a tattered fedora...  Somebody stop me. ;)