News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebaY's "Mr Helpful"

Started by Sargeguy, May 11, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

The same guy has a 70s "Design Line" candlestick listed for a starting bid of $200 (Buy it now price for $800).  Anyone going to snap that one up?  Maybe he needs a "Mr Helpful-in-reverse" to tell some of these people that their Design Line telephones are not worth hundreds.
Jim H.

Wallphone

baldopeacock

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 03, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
Where is Mr Helpful when you need him?  Someone please send him to http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-phone-/250706167974 or some of the other items this seller has listed.

Larry

Nice photo.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Wallphone on October 03, 2010, 11:31:49 PM
I think that Fred might be the seller's name.

I think you're right, Doug.  I didn't notice the "period" before his name.

AE_Collector

Dennis Markham

Terry in the listing that Larry posted, in the Q&A the seller responded to Mr. Friendly.  I had thought he addressed Mr. Friendly as Fred.  But it appears he was signing his response (the seller's response).

http://tinyurl.com/293f9bx   ( dead link 02-15-21 )

AE_Collector

Okay, I just did my homework and have caught up with you now. Thought it was "Thanks Fred" but it was thanks.....Fred.

Thanks.....Terry! (er Thanks, Dennis?)

Sargeguy

I think I can lay claim to coining the term "Mr. Helpful" a while back.  It was in response to his annoying habit of notifying sellers of F-1's that they had 302s.  Since then I have run across him more times than I care to.  I don't think he is a seasoned collector because he couldn't tell that a F1W handset and AE dial means 251, or that the big brass knob means 410.  One seller even had the case cracked open with a vacuum tube showing on the "302".  Another "302" had a ringer box and magneto.  One was made by Federal.  I think this guy is a moron.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dave F

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 03, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
Where is Mr Helpful when you need him?  Someone please send him to http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-phone-/250706167974 or some of the other items this seller has listed.

Larry

What a bargain!  Let me check my bank balance and see if I have enough to cover that Buy-It-Now.  Please don't anybody grab it away from me while I am checking.

KeithB

Hey, if you like that one soooooooo much, I've got one exactly like it, but looks even better, and I'll sell it to you for the same B-I-N price, or maybe even a little less, since you're a board member.  ;D

Dave F

That's a very generous offer -- one I almost can't refuse.  If you can toss in a dozen or so boxes of AUTOVON Card Dialer cards, we'll have some serious talking to do!!

DARK FATHER

I have never been Mr. Helpful much, but the few times that I did I was trying to correct a SERIOUS error the seller made that had nothing to do with the price.  The errors were so serious that it would have gotten the seller into trouble with Ebay for misrepresentation.  But I am no longer the Ebay Samaritan, so buyer (and seller) beware!

KeithB

I'll admit to being "Mr. Helpful", but mostly with a few antique toasters (yes :o toasters!) last year. 

Greg G.

Just to clarify, the type of "helpfulness" I resent is when strangers to the seller, who aren't interested in the phone, inform the seller that what they have is a highly collectible item and can fetch much more than the original starting price asked for, and consequently the seller ups the price based on that information.  

I'm not talking about friends helping friends, and I'm not referring to the reverse situation where a seller is trying to pass something off as a genuine antique, when in fact it's repro garbage.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dave F

Quote from: Brinybay on October 07, 2010, 05:31:10 PM
Just to clarify, the type of "helpfulness" I resent is when strangers to the seller, who aren't interested in the phone, inform the seller that what they have is a highly collectible item and can fetch much more than the original starting price asked for, and consequently the seller ups the price based on that information. 

I'm not talking about friends helping friends, and I'm not referring to the reverse situation where a seller is trying to pass something off as a genuine antique, when in fact it's repro garbage.

As a collector, I agree 100% with you.  However, play devil's-advocate for a moment and consider the other side.  Many sellers sell all kinds of stuff that they know little about, and it is often not possible to adequately research every item before putting it up for auction.  Mr Helpful, by doing what he does, is providing a valuable service to these sellers, even as he kicks us in the teeth.  I know that if I were selling something I knew little about, I would be very grateful if Mr H sent a little of his wisdom my way.  My collector's instinct prevents me from giving out such helpful hints to sellers; as we generally believe that it's not our duty to do others' homework for them.    But it is clear that there are really two sides to this story.