News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

The software is upgraded, yes, but the user interface looks terrible.
I am greeted with 2/3 of the page empty with scattered donation explanations and advertisements.
Very cluttered.
The default SMF theme looks better.

Dave Zemens

Quote from: unbeldi on December 22, 2013, 01:18:11 PM
I am greeted with 2/3 of the page empty with scattered donation explanations and advertisements.
Very cluttered.

unbeldi: What browser and browser version are you using? Looks great on Firefox and Internet Explorer 10.0
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

Phonesrfun

Very cluttered.

I wonder if it depends on the device you are viewing it on.  My PC shows all that stuff in the top 1/3 of the screen.  My iphone shows almost all of the opening screen to be all that stuff so I have to scroll down.  The paragraph about donations takes up 7 lines on my screen where it could only take up one or two if it were formatted to have more text on a line.  My browser is not showing ads any more.  I wonder if the ads were done away with in favor of the donation button.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 01:21:30 PM
Very cluttered.

unbeldi: What browser and browser version are you using? Looks great on Firefox and Internet Explorer 10.0
Looks great in IE 10, Firefox 26, and in Google Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63. People having problems may have a very small screen setting or be viewing on a portable device.

The new layout is very clean (as compared to it with the original theme installed last night)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave Zemens

I've modified those little phone icons that show unread posts in each forum. Take a look and see if you like the new like. Red 302 if there are unread posts and a greyed out 302 if there are no unread posts. If I say so myself it looks way better than the old theme.  ;)
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

Dennis Markham

Awesome, Dave!  I like the Red 302's.  Beautiful job!

Phonesrfun

So here is what I see RE: the Header information:

My PC running IE 10  My Avatar and Show unread posts, etc is at the very upper right hand corner across the screen from the Classic Rotary phone forum heading.  No advertisements whatsoever, except that the donate info is directly below the forum heading.

My iPhone and iPad have similar displays:

They display the Forum header.  Nothing to the right of that
Next down is the donate information,
Then down below that is an advertisement.  I get ads on both mobile devices and not on my PC
Then down below that is my avatar and the usual stuff that belongs with that.

No wonder it takes 2/3 of a screen on a mobile device.  Maybe it could be paginated better, but if there are other more critical issues, I, for one, could live with that.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 22, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
Awesome, Dave!  I like the Red 302's.  Beautiful job!

I do too!  Now if I could only HAVE a real pekin red 302.  You got that, Santa??
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 01:43:47 PM
I've modified those little phone icons that show unread posts in each forum. Take a look and see if you like the new like. Red 302 if there are unread posts and a greyed out 302 if there are no unread posts. If I say so myself it looks way better than the old theme.  ;)

Hi Dave:

Looking great!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave Z.,

The red 302 icons are a welcome addition; very intuitive, easy to spot. Thanks to you and Dennis for all your hard work. We'll get all the hiccups out and roll on, with a little time and patience.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Contempra

for my part I have no problem to view the forum with my 10.0 IE and Firefox 25.01

JimH

It's looking great!  Thanks for all your effort and hard work.  I really appreciate it.  I was having withdrawls, though, for just one night  ;D.

Jim
Jim H.

old_stuff_hound

?normal to back and order chronological reverse of out get I do How

NM, found it.

Classic Rotary Phones Forum »Profile of old_stuff_hound »Look and Layout

TelePlay

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on December 22, 2013, 03:56:00 PM
?normal to back and order chronological reverse of out get I do How

NM, found it.

Classic Rotary Phones Forum »Profile of old_stuff_hound »Look and Layout

And for anyone else looking for that fix,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg115280#msg115280

tallguy58

Still can't see some avatars and some photos  :'( :'(
Cheers........Bill