News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type 2

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 12, 2015, 12:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I recently won this AE type 2: ebay link.  I was very surprised that nobody else bid on it being that this model is so uncommon.  As you can see from the listing pictures, the phone was very dirty.  There is a crack about 1" long on the front from the bottom edge and various assorted scratches and small gouges in the bakelite.  I gave the phone a good cleaning and polishing, added an appropriate handset and dial, and replaced the badly worn cords.  Fortunately, all of the internal parts were present and working.  The condenser has "7 29" stamped into it which I am assuming is the manufacture date.  The phone now works and is currently sitting on my desk.

Larry

Jack Ryan

I like these phones. You were lucky - even with a crack. Often the insides are missing (not sure why) or a frequency ringer has been replaced by something weird.

You might try a Type 23 dial - it mounts flush and is dial for this telephone was designed for.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 12, 2015, 10:03:12 PM
You might try a Type 23 dial - it mounts flush and is dial for this telephone was designed for.

Jack

I would if I had one to spare.

Fortunately, this phone came with a SL ringer which was only missing a #10 screw to hold it to the bottom plate.  I should be getting replacement feet soon.

Larry

Greg G.

Interesting, first I've seen one of these.  Looks like the phone is melting into the base.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Larry,
          The phone looks Great !!!!!!!!! Here's a pic of one in 1926, PAX ophone # 2  , just like yours and the other Type 2  Mr. Ryan spoke of !!!!   stub       left click on 1st pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub on April 12, 2015, 11:34:30 PM
Larry,
          The phone looks Great !!!!!!!!! Here's a pic of one in 1926, PAX ophone # 2  , just like yours and the other Type 2  Mr. Ryan spoke of !!!!   stub       left click on 1st pic to enlarge

I have one like that wall phone, except I thought it was a Type 21:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7808.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

Soon after release the rest of the new Monophones got their own names/IDs - see edited (borrowed) image.

Pictures of the Type 21 attached as well for reference.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

I do already have types 1, 3, and 21 (wall) as well as a 1A (which has a shorter neck than the type 1 and a recessed dial).  I am still in the market for a type 21 desk stand.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...its a beauty.

Dr Jack....thanks for the info....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

And keep in mind that the name "Monophone" refers to phones with the brand new (at the time) one piece (Mono) Handsets rather than the older 2 piece configuration.

Nice score Larry. Did you find the new feet that will fit these?

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 13, 2015, 06:29:58 PM
And keep in mind that the name "Monophone" refers to phones with the brand new (at the time) one piece (Mono) Handsets rather than the older 2 piece configuration.

Nice score Larry. Did you find the new feet that will fit these?

Terry

Yes Terry, the feet should be on there way.  Thank You

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 13, 2015, 06:29:58 PM

Terry

I didn't know that!  I thought "Monophone" was a disease you caught by coming in close contact with an old AE phone that made you start collecting other old AE phones.  Different from "phoneitis", that makes you start collecting all old phones.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

[/quote]

I didn't know that!  I thought "Monophone" was a disease you caught by coming in close contact with an old AE phone that made you start collecting other old AE phones.  Different from "phoneitis", that makes you start collecting all old phones.
[/quote]

The disease that makes you collect only old AE phones is "Terryitis"!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Yes, it isn't nearly as debilitating as Phoneitis but still takes its toll. And like Phoneitis, there is no known cure :(

Terry