News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Only 50K RARE-AUTOMATIC-ELECT-BRASS-RESTORED-ANTIQUE-TELEPHONE

Started by Doug Rose, October 14, 2010, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone? Only 50K Anyone? Actually just $49,500. I have one exactly like it, but I am missing the $49, 400 bakelite subset. darn! Just my luck. I always thought mine was a repro.....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-AUTOMATIC-ELECT-BRASS-RESTORED-ANTIQUE-TELEPHONE-/250711277688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f8e8078
( dead link 11-03-21 )
Kidphone

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Given that in his "Other Items", a WE 202 is $495.00, I am thinking that the $49,500.00 was a typo!  He must have missed the decimal point key while putting in the price.

-Bill G

bingster

I know next to nothing about this particular phone, but does the neck and cradle look a bit rough, as in repro rough?
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

I have an AE 1A, and it is bakelite.  I didn't know that they made them from brass.  Also, the cut-out in the shell for the finger wheel looks strange.  If I were the speculative type, I might guess that the shell was made in Asia.  I guess that that could account for the high cost ;)

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 14, 2010, 04:11:56 PM
I know next to nothing about this particular phone, but does the neck and cradle look a bit rough, as in repro rough?

Now that you mention it, it kinda looks like aged plastic.  Brass would shine up a lot better.  Or maybe they just did a sloppy job of polishing, hard to tell.  Photos can be tricky in the digital age.  Doesn't hurt to ask them.

Somewhere, probably here, somebody said these used to be painted because when the culture was shunning everything Victorian, brass was too "Victorian" and hence was painted to look more "modern".  Now there being "brassed out" like this one.

Maybe they meant $4.95.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

In my opinion the brass base is real, but its a candlestick base. The brass cradle is a reproduction. Look closely, the colors do not even match. Agreed probably meant $495 which is still way off. ...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

The cradle looks like it's on crooked to me....not square with the phone.  May just be the angle of the camera.