News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German? Field Telephone

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 26, 2013, 10:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This:link is currently on the local craigslist.  Is this really German?  The text on the handset is Norwegian, is it not?  I have no interest in field phones, but I am just curious about this.  I do have a handset which is just like the one in the picture (minus the Norwegian text).

Larry

Haf

Looks genuine to me. It looks like having the WAA Abnahmestempel, a German Wehrmacht punch mark (there where different variations with or without swastika). Ok, the text on the handset is defenitely not German, maybe was used from the Norwegians as the Wehrmacht left equipment when retreated.

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

The FF33 was left in great numbers in Norway when the German occupants was sent home after WWii.

By political Reasons the German equipment was banned for a short while, but the lack of equipment made it easy to use.

The wery first year(s) EE8 (US) and UK type F was the main "new" telephones.  The FF33 was soon replasing the UK telephones because of the relibility. The were later even taking the place of the EE8.

Thy were refurbed and cared for until the Norwegian TP-6-NA replaced them.  I can till remember FF33 in use when I served in 1982-83.

dsk

Bill

I had a pair of these for years. One of the labels inside the lid had a phonetic listing of the German alphabet. Similar to the phonetics for the English alphabet (Able Baker Charlie ...), the German phonetics were Anton Arger Bertha Casar ...  as I recall (forgive my spelling of Casar, it might have been different). I don't see that label in the photos you posted. By the way, the outer case on the ones I had was really fragile, perhaps due to age. One of them developed a huge split from a minor impact as I was moving them.

Bill

Haf

Spelling should be Cäsar...we have lots of those äöüäöüäöüäß߀€€ on our keyboard ;)
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474