News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Handset, subset, and station connect cloth wire sources and options?

Started by OldPhoneUser, March 17, 2018, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPhoneUser

HI all,

Well I forgot about wires (phone to subset, handset, and wall jack). Did a bunch of searchings here and the interwebs, looking for some sources and advice.

Mainly, I believe I will need 4 conductor to connect my 202 phone to a subset. I plan to use a 302 base that I got off ebay, OR my 500 base because I like the ring.   I do have the old style four prong plug and jack coming.

If I DIY the wires, I can get them just the right length.  But would need the original style end spades and stress relief clips, and the wire.

I know that the old phone supply has some of these all made up, but I didnt see all three and it would be pricey, and they wouldnt be custom length.

Any good sources for 4-conductor and (3-conductor for handset?) 2-conductor brown cloth wire and the spades and stress relief clip things?

Thank You  :)

OldPhoneUser

Found the info here. Basically, it is all at Oldphoneworks and they has the wire in bulk too, but also in sets all made up with spades crimped on at reasonable prices and I finally found the three set for a desk phone. They also have the spades and strain relief also at reasonable pricing and quantity. You can save a little for really big quantities on spades at digikey. No point really though.  Just have to decide on bulk or pre-made. Probably will do the bulk because I may want different lengths than standard.

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/tri-pack-cloth-covered-desk-telephone-set-4-conductor-brown.html

RB

Hi
Haad the same problem :(
the source you found, is prob the best option available.imho
I can't find good subs for that wire either.
bite it, and get what you need from them.
any other option, "if you can find one", will be more work for you.
There may be a cheaper source, but I have not found it.

poplar1

Quote from: OldPhoneUser on March 17, 2018, 07:58:08 PM

Mainly, I believe I will need 4 conductor to connect my 202 phone to a subset. I plan to use a 302 base that I got off ebay, OR my 500 base because I like the ring.   I do have the old style four prong plug and jack coming.

You may want to order 5-conductor cord if you plan to use the 500 base. But it's up to you.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

OldPhoneUser

Quote from: poplar1 on March 19, 2018, 03:49:55 PM
You may want to order 5-conductor cord if you plan to use the 500 base. But it's up to you.

UH oh. already ordered. I have a 302 base and cover coming but also picked up a 500 phone for $5 today and I like that ring sound better.  I wonder if the 500 bells will transplant into the 302 base.

Anyway, poplar, thanks for  your advice.

Does the 500 base option REQUIRE 5 wires?  I really need to find the diagram for that, of the many here...

poplar1

Quote from: OldPhoneUser on March 19, 2018, 07:26:40 PM

Does the 500 base option REQUIRE 5 wires?  I really need to find the diagram for that, of the many here...

5 wires are required to equal the complete 500 telephone set. However, there are diagrams in the forum using 4 or even 3 wires from the 202 to the 685A subset ( or 500 base).

The 5th wire goes to the black handset wire, which is removed from BK on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

OldPhoneUser

well I have to ask then, what do you lose when using less wires?  there must be something that works differently when reducing the number of wires?

I'll go look for those diagrams now

Babybearjs

which 500 type unit are we talking about.... to my knowledge, a regular WE 500 set only used 2-3 wires, and 3 was only if you had to use a ground connection....
John

OldPhoneUser

talking using the bottom section of a Western Electric 500 phone to use that as a subset/ringer for a 202 phone.