News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another attempt at a Blue 302

Started by persido, May 10, 2015, 02:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Was looking for some blue paint to use on another phone project, I have always had a terrible time trying to get a good match to the blue Western Electric used on the 302, I thought I had a good match  I found this paint called Color Coat Regatta Blue, but unfortunately after putting on several coats it took on a metallic look, the paint went on the plastic shell fine, it came out flawless very easy to work with, but once again not a close match at all.

Scot

Mr. Bones

Beautiful blue color, nonetheless, Scot...

And, as you said: "flawless" 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the beautiful work!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Scot....I think it looks great!!! If you want to sell just the painted parts, I would take it off your hands...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice, Scot! May not be WE blue, but it looks very nice IMHO.

BTW, is that a GRAY handset cord? I'm sure many of us (me) would kill for it if it is!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

persido

Thanks Mr. Bones, yes the blue is nice, it gives the phone a unique look.  The shell had a large crack going up the middle, I repaired the Crack and used bondo to fill it in. The paint made some of the repair noticeable as seen in the picture below.
Thanks for the offer Doug, but because of the damage to the shell and the noticeable repair, it would not be fair to sell it, and because the crack was so large I'm not even sure it will keep, I have had some repaired cracks reopen.
No Christian that is a black cord painted gray, but it looks like the real thing.

Scot

Dan/Panther

What brand is the paint, was it in a can.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

persido

Dan the name of the paint is Color Rite Auto paint. The picture below upper right side is the color I thought it was going to be, I put a picture of the phone next to it, the 2 a totally different.

Scot

Dan/Panther

A suggestion.
Paint the shall first with a gray or white primer. Then you will get the proper color. The black is actually showing through.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson