"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Candlestick 150 without receiver

Started by cloyd, February 07, 2016, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hi all,
I bought a candlestick for a good price not realizing that GPO receivers were so hard to find.  Will other brand receivers work?  If so, are there model numbers that I should be looking out for?

Might this be a GPO receiver?  The brown looks right but I don't know how else to tell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Telephone-Candlestick-Transmitter-Receivers-Lot-/172082639154

I have attached a picture (not mine) of the kind of receiver that I need.

I appreciate the input,

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

rdelius

Other receivers will fit but only the GPO type will be hard rubber over a brass shell.watch out for polished brass ones, they might be reproductions.The origional ones have a smooth taper.the fakes have a sharp bend in profile.They should not be hard to find.

cloyd

Thank you for the heads-up.  I knew that Western Electric Candlesticks were faked but I didn't know about GPO.  As though collecting old electrical equipment isn't a mine field in itself, people have to try to cheat you as well!  Arghh!
Thanks,
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

rdelius

lots of made in india fakes out there but rather crude

Jack Ryan

Quote from: cloyd on February 07, 2016, 05:36:16 PM
Might this be a GPO receiver?  The brown looks right but I don't know how else to tell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Telephone-Candlestick-Transmitter-Receivers-Lot-/172082639154

The receiver shell on the right looks like the UK type but the cap isn't.

The shape of the UK receiver shell varies a bit depending on who made it but not by much. They are all brass and covered with Ebonite. The cap us a No 2 and has a cutout on the edge making it look like an ash tray (it allows the howler sound to be heard if the receiver is left standing on the cap).

Many have been brassed out and some have been painted black during refurbishment.

Unless there is a security problem, there are some pictures attached.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on February 07, 2016, 08:55:22 PM
lots of made in india fakes out there but rather crude

And some Indian fakes are not crude at all

Jack

rdelius

I suspect not fake but refurbed, possibly some new parts esp the dial.Have seen some imported from India with mostly old parts and the bulldog tx upgrade.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on February 07, 2016, 10:29:11 PM
I suspect not fake but refurbed, possibly some new parts esp the dial.Have seen some imported from India with mostly old parts and the bulldog tx upgrade.

The transmitter is original, most of the rest is reproduction. I asked guys in the trade in India.

There was a reproduction available in Australia who's parts were interchangeable with an original - close to a replica.

Jack