News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

from my new 616, to the internet. what do i need?

Started by RB, May 23, 2018, 11:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Just got me a 616. plugged it in, and chked ext 2 and 3. work ok.
I have been readin here, and got a lot of helpfull info!...
and a few ???
What do i need to connect the 616 to my router, if thats correct, to get internet phone calling?
I suppose, I need a box, and some software?
are there a ton of options?
Also, is there a line balancing gizmo, that will allow the line from one of my magneto phones, to talk to my 616?
Thanks for the help!

AE_Collector

In connecting to an outside telephone line the Panasonic PBX or almost any PBX really is no different than a telephone plugged into your phone line. If you have a phone line of any sort, POTS, cable, VOIP etc, as long as it is a line that you can pkug a regular phone into you are just inserting the PBX into that circuit Connect from phone jack to CO line 1 jack on the Panasonic and plug your phone into the first station port. Pick up the handset, listen fir internal dial tone, dial 9 to get CO line 1, check that you get outside dial tone, dial your call.

Terry

RB

Yup, got that...just don't have a pots line anymore, all fiber now.
I will need something to convert Ethernet to pots.

Key2871

Yea, Voip. Then the phone port on the voip use a standard line cord to your pbx. And your done.
KEN

RB

Quote from: Key2871 on May 23, 2018, 03:03:34 PM
Yea, Voip. Then the phone port on the voip
can you define that?
I guess i need a piece of equipment?

HarrySmith

Your router should have your phone connection. You should have a port on the router to plug a phone cord into. Assuming you have your phone service with your internet.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andy1702

Just to clear this up... If you have a normal phone plugged into your fibre connection, connect CO1 of your 616 to whatever you normally plug a POTS phone into.

However if you want to use VOIP you'll need a thing called an analogue terminal adapter (ATA) and an account with a VOIP service provider. This can include C*net if you want to use your 616 on the C*net network. You plug one cord from the ATA into an ethernet port on your router and a line (likely CO1) of your 616 connects to the phone port on the ATA.

So the chain goes phone - 616 - ATA - router then out to your VOIP provider.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Butch Harlow

I got a 616 yesterday. I have comcast VOIP phone service on my broadband router. I ran a standard rj-11 cord from the router to CO1 on the 616, plugged in 5 phones and it worked perfectly.
Butch Harlow

RB

Andy, I got the order down, thank you.
Harry, I don't know if the router has a port, or if the multiplexer on the house supplied it.
it used to be ported right into the old pots wires in the house from outside. I will look tonite.
Ok, in case I do not have a phone port on my router,
anybody know if this will do the trick?
Cortelco 821121ATAPAK VoIP Analog Terminal Adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/Cortelco-821121ATAPAK-Analog-Terminal-Adaptor/dp/B003HNQW5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527106612&sr=8-1&keywords=analog+terminal+adapter

Then, I guess, I need to contact frontier...ooh! I shudder just sayin that name.
and add the support to my bill?

AE_Collector

Don't think you HAVE to contact Frontier but you have to contact someone for phone service. Magic jack, Ooma, your cable company, your Telco, ... who provides the fibre and is your internet on it? Start by asking them about a phone line. I would decide who to deal with before shopping for an ATA, they most likely will provide it. You may have a phone port on your ONT (router) but it isn't going to provide dial tone if you haven't subscribed for a phone line from the fibre provider.

Terry

RB

Terry
I looked at the fiber box outside, and it has a pots port in it.
thats how they got us pots at the beginning.
we had it shut off due to no useage.So, I will start with ...ooh... here it comes again...frontier :-[ :-[ :-[
I also noticed, the buttheads cut up my pots box when they shut it off.
nuthin but cut wires in the box now. ???
I can fix that, but still gotta get the service.
or go with some other provider.
time to go service shoppin 8)
Thanks for the help!

andy1702

reemmber you have more than one line on your 616, so you could easily connect it to a number of different services. I have something similar (not a 616) connected to both POTS and C*net. I lift the handset on any phone in the house and dial a code to select which service I want to use, then dial the number. It's been up and running flawlessly for nearly two years now. Not bad for a 2nd hand system that cost all of £10!
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

AE_Collector

Quote from: RB on May 24, 2018, 08:48:16 AM
I also noticed, the buttheads cut up my pots box when they shut it off.
nuthin but cut wires in the box now. ???

Not sure why this would happen in conjunction with discontinuing pots service. In most cases It would be turned off in software with no one doing a field visit. But who knows what all went on.

Terry

compubit

I know that with Verizon, when they run the fiber for FiOS, they often make the copper unusable - sort of to keep you hooked... (and you can't switch back...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RB

You nailed it Jim!
common practice around here.
There shud be something you could do about that...
messin with other stuff during an installation???