News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 500

Started by guitar1580, January 20, 2020, 01:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Glad to see you were able to snatch a couple ITT's.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stormcrash on January 21, 2020, 12:12:10 PM
If you do pick the creme just be sure to make sure a nice even coat is applied, and don't reapply more cream without rinsing first. Otherwise you can get a marbled/uneven result. Using liquid peroxide in water will avoid the marbling risk and give you control over the concentration, but does require a larger container and making sure the plastic doesn't float up. For both methods ocasional rotation is needed to get even sun/heat exposure

Yes, I found through trial & error the secret is even application & UV exposure to get a good finish.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

guitar1580

Thanks for all of the info folks.  I'm going to order the 20 and 40 cream to have it on hand.  It's pretty cold around here right now, but we get sporadic warm days. 

I don't have a lot of money in that white AE80, so if it doesn't come out well, it's not the end of the world.  I suppose I could sand it out if all else fails.

Josh

FABphones

Adding this link to a thread by Teleplay which covers, very nicely, both techniques in depth.
It's a long and worthwhile read - and will answer more questions than many of us will ever ask:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23386
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Quote from: guitar1580 on January 22, 2020, 12:38:49 AM
Thanks for all of the info folks.  I'm going to order the 20 and 40 cream to have it on hand.  It's pretty cold around here right now, but we get sporadic warm days. 

I don't have a lot of money in that white AE80, so if it doesn't come out well, it's not the end of the world.  I suppose I could sand it out if all else fails.

Josh

The cold weather should not make a difference. What matters is sun exposure. You need good sunlight with lots of UV!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"