News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with questions about TP-6-A

Started by cloyd, November 11, 2016, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Tina...black from the ringer went to the yellow of the line cord. You did not say if you teminated the yellow and red together on the line cord. Move the black from the ringer to the red where the line cord terminates on the coil. If your 302 ringer worked in a 302, it will work here in the CT Toaster....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

Quote from: poplar1 on November 11, 2016, 06:38:32 PM
Red ringer to L1
Black ringer to K
Slate capacitor to K
Yellow capacitor to L2

L1<----------RINGER----------->K<-------------CAPACITOR------------------>L2

LINE CORD:
RED TO L1, GREEN TO L2 (WILL ALSO WORK AS SHOWN IN YOUR PHOTO WITH GREEN TO L1 AND RED TO L2)

So, it wasn't the ringer after all.  I had to move the yellow from capacitor 3 to L2 (it was on GND).  Now both ringers, the B13 from the WE302 and the I-1 that came with the phone both work!  Thank you Poplar!  I also checked every wire connection with the diagram that I posted earlier.  That information coincided with what Poplar had said so I tried it with success.  Success is so sweet.  I also terminated the yellow line cord with the red at the wall jack.  It's all good.

If I ever get the transmitter cap off, I will replace the handset cord.  I already put lubricant on it a week ago which is how I got the receiver cap off.  Other tips?

Any suggestions on repairing the receiver cap?  Is the crack due to shrinking?  It was difficult to remove because the crack caused the threads to misalign.  The threads on the handset are worn to nothing on one side.  If I repair the crack by bringing the ends back together, will it be too small?

The handset seems to not be bakelite.  Is that right?

Thank you all!

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

HarrySmith

Try some heat and a strap wrench on the stuck cap. I use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the caps. I have seen a lot of bakelite handsets with plastic caps which looks like what you have.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: cloyd on November 16, 2016, 07:22:10 PM

Any suggestions on repairing the receiver cap?  Is the crack due to shrinking?  It was difficult to remove because the crack caused the threads to misalign.  The threads on the handset are worn to nothing on one side.  If I repair the crack by bringing the ends back together, will it be too small?

Tina
You might try wrapping the receiver thread with  Teflon (plumbing) tape.then screw on the cap as a starting point.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

cloyd

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 16, 2016, 08:30:40 PM
Try some heat and a strap wrench on the stuck cap. I use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the caps. I have seen a lot of bakelite handsets with plastic caps which looks like what you have.

Did the handsets come that way from the factory or are these replacement caps that someone used?

I'm not so sure that the handset is bakelite.  Without thinking, I used ATF with acetone to loosen handset caps and it ran over the handset.  Every place it touched dissolved a little.  Am I right to think that means its not bakelite?

I hesitate to use a strap wrench because of the experience others have shared about the handset cracking and breaking.  If I want to switch the cord, I'll have to give it a try.  I'll use the heat first though.

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

rdelius

Conn TP6A handsets are usually a bad quality plastic.it cracks,peels etc. Will not buff well either