News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson oilcan Is it worth it?

Started by Pourme, February 24, 2016, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Thank you Dennis for adding me as a member. My meager collection don't deserve to be called a collection by the standards on this site. I want to add my first candlestick. This was at a local antique mall last week and I walked away. I suspect the dialer was added.  In general how bad does this hurt the value of any non dialer phone? The handset is cracked, glued and deteriorating & has the wrong sending unit & cord. No main cord. The base doesn't have the felt. I don't even know if it has any internal parts. I have seen this model go for a lot of money in much better shape. Still I am drawn to this piece. $200.00 seemed high to me. What is your opinion? Should I return and buy it before someone else does?Thank you in advance!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

Welcome!

Merriam-Webster says:
Collection:
  something collected; especially :  an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby

So, you shouldn't let anything else change your mind about your collection.

I think the question you posed can only be answered by you, yourself.  Telephones sell for amazing prices sometimes, amazingly high and amazingly low. It only depends on how bad someone wants it and whether two such people collide in an auction.
I think going into collecting with money on one's mind is a great way to destroy the fun and enjoyment of it. If you enjoy the process of restoring an antique piece of communication history, then the real price usually is not what you pay for it, but what you put in, in terms of time and effort. In the end it seems one is getting prison wages, too often.

In terms of that instrument, I'd say spending a couple hundred is perhaps not out of line, we certainly have seen instruments that old to sell for more, I think.  There are several old candlestick experts on this forum.

Seems to me this may be a Stromberg-Carlson ca. 110 years old. [oops, sorry, you already stated that in your title]. And yes, the dial is a later addition.

Pourme

Thanks unbeldi, it's not entirely about the money...at the same time I need to maximize the gain for what I have to spend. Thank you for your input!
Benny

dencins

Depending how the dial is mounted I would say could significantly lower the value.  The base of an Oilcan is how it got the name.  If someone drilled holes or otherwise damaged the base to mount the dial then in my opinion the phone is good for parts.  Finding another base to replace it would probably mean buying a second phone.   

It may be possible to salvage the base by brazing any holes or damage but this would take someone who skilled in brazing brass and the associated costs to go with it.  The S-C Oilcan had two bases.  Early versions were cast brass and the later versions were spun brass.  Either type would be difficult to braze and would take an experienced person to do it right.

I have seen several of these receivers listed on ebay so a replacement would not be that difficult.  Replica handles and ear pieces are also available.

I am not familiar with the dial or its value.  Possible it could be sold to fund the work required on the phone.

Dennis Hallworth   

Fabius

Welcome! Though there may be $200 worth of parts I would pass. As already mentioned the mounting of the dial may have damaged the base which would be the biggest concern to me. It appears the dial is European? Also the phone has been stripped of its nickel and it has the later transmitter and mount.

You should check out that TV that can be seen in the background. Is it a Philco Predicta?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dencins

The "embossed" transmitter face plate was used on the 1900-1905 oilcan per
http://www.phonemandave.net/stromberg.htm
I can not tell if the inside of the transmitter is original.  If it is like the receiver I would suspect it may not have original internal parts.

The internal parts of the receiver are not original as can be seen in the picture with the broken ear piece.  The original receiver had a diaphragm that was activated by two coils that were driven by magnets.

Dennis Hallworth     

rdelius

That dial is off a KTAS set.I think the set is still worth it.Those faceplates have been reproduced but that one appears origional

Sargeguy

I agree.  Even as a parts phone I'd take a chance on this one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

I offered $125, & I now own my first candlestick phone. I took time to peek at the transmitter and it isn't original as suspected. I am excited about owning it and look forward to what may become of the phone! Thanks for the response, I'm sure I will follow up.
Benny

HarrySmith

Nice! Great price! It will have to be re-nickled anyway so if the base it damaged you can have it repaired. I have seen a lot of those receivers on eBay. Most of the time the seller does not know what it is. Keep your search broad and you will probably find one for cheap.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Steve Brink wrote an article About re-nickling an oilcan with a texas platers kit. I think it was published by ATCA. I think you did well with this purchase.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Fabius on February 24, 2016, 11:49:52 AM
You should check out that TV that can be seen in the background. Is it a Philco Predicta?

That is what I was thinking! It doesn't look identical to the picture of the Predicta that you posted but very similar. I would think they may be worth quite a few $$$. Would be nice to know what they are asking for it.

And for the phone, first thing everyone wants to know is how the dial is attached. I woud definitely pay $125 to add it to my collection even if it is in rough shape.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice phone!

I think you will want to send it to Dennis Halworth; he does very excellent nickel plating. He could easily fill those holes and you would never know they were there! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

The TV in the background could be for sale.  According to the tag on it, it is a Jetsons TV made from 1959 to 1961.

Fabius

Quote from: andre_janew on February 25, 2016, 12:14:30 PM
The TV in the background could be for sale.  According to the tag on it, it is a Jetsons TV made from 1959 to 1961.

Jensons is not a manufacturer or model name. It is a reference to the TV cartoon show that was set in the future. Called so because of the TV's futuristic look.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905