News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1212 "Fatboy" not ringing.

Started by HarrySmith, November 29, 2013, 06:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Started to test a 1212 yesterday, did not have much time to get into it. Once I found out it did not ring, I opened it up and checked connections which all look OK. That is about as far as I got. I intend to look further tonight after work. My question is, is it as simple as it is on WE 500's? Just remove one ringer wire from ground to the line cord? I am not familiar with SC wiring. I do not have any pictures yet but can get some tonight if needed. This appears to be an all original phone with an AE dial, which also does not work but that is another thread ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Harry, if you have a straight line ringer, it is probably the same as with a 500: either connect 2 of the 3 wires together at the connecting block, or move a ringer wire inside the phone.

I'm unable to open any file in the TCI library but maybe someone else can:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2041-1212-tl

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Most ringer circuits are simple.

You should be able to trace a simple circuit from L1 to L2 through the ringer coil and a capacitor in series.

If the wiring seems proper, one of the components (including the wires and spade tips on the wires) is probably faulty.

A simple ohmmeter or continuity tester will usually help isolate the problem.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

G-Man

poplar1

So the ringer should be connected to F and not H for individual (bridged) lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on November 29, 2013, 08:13:41 PM
Harry, if you have a straight line ringer, it is probably the same as with a 500: either connect 2 of the 3 wires together at the connecting block, or move a ringer wire inside the phone.

I'm unable to open any file in the TCI library but maybe someone else can:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2041-1212-tl

I had some trouble with the TCI library site today too.  It was being very slow.  I had never experienced that  before, at least not on that site.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Last night I was too tired to mess with it but I did check for markings and found it is marked 33 1/3. I think that is close enough so it should ring. I will get into it either tonight after work or tomorrow when I am off. Thanks for the input ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 30, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
Last night I was too tired to mess with it but I did check for markings and found it is marked 33 1/3. I think that is close enough so it should ring. I will get into it either tonight after work or tomorrow when I am off. Thanks for the input ;D

You might be able to make it ring better by moving the clapper farther out.

Larry