News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Space Saver

Started by Steve, December 30, 2008, 10:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

My son who's 7 is asking me for an old phone for his room. I had an idea of building a box to resemble a mini phone booth or fire box etc. I cant seem to find any W.E. space savers on ebay though. I'm looking for one that works but may need a little tlc, as I will be painting it a different color anyway. why cant I find one? I've seen them before, is it a dry spell, or am I using the wrong search terms?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

They're frequently there.  You have to remember when searching for phones, that sellers often don't use the proper terms for whatever you're looking for.  Somebody could have an Automatic Electric type 34, and they'll have it listed as "Vintage Rotary Phone," or even just "Old Phone."  You can search for "Western Electric 500" and find a handful of results, but when you search through ALL the phones in the collectibles category, you'll see dozens of 500s.

So what you really need to do is stop searching for specific things, and go through the entire category at collectibles > radio, phonograph, tv, phone > telephones .  That's the way you find stuff.  Don't forget that people often put phones in consumer electronics>vintage electronics>telephones.  Gotta search all of that, too.
= DARRIN =

Steve

Thanks!

I'm getting way more results this way :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Thanks for the tips on searching!

I found a W.E. spacesaver that ends today I may bid on.

I would like to do something like these for him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200291978490

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamewell-San-Diego-POLICE-Call-Box-Telephone-Phone-Old_W0QQitemZ200291965861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCorded_Phones?hash=item200291965861&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I found this, and it would work perfect with a red phone and maybe a light on top etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350146494299

is there another source to search for a phone box like this?

maybe you guys have another suggestion as far as phone box ideas?

it would be for my sons room. he is 7 and autistic. he was non verbal for a long time and never wanted to talk on the phone. when our cordless would ring he would cry and cover his ears. when I got our 500 desk set last spring, he would hear the bells and jump up and down. HE LOVES IT! we are just getting him to talk on the phone, but only on the 500 :)

I think it would be very therapeutic, if he had his own "cool old phone" as he calls them.

any ideas guys?

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

The first seller's auctions really get on my nerves.  What he sells are fantasy phones that aren't correct or original in any way, shape or form.  Yet he very carefully words his descriptions to make the impression that they are real.   

Anyway... yes, you could definitely get an old Gamewell box  (try searching for "gamewell"), and mount one of those phones inside.  There are no bells in these phones, though, so you'd need to also install some sort of ringer in the box with the phone, if he likes the bells. 
= DARRIN =

Steve

LOL!

Yeah, at least the boxes are real. I just thought that he would like to have one setup like that.

the fire box listed would be cool if I mounted a red phone in it for him :)

I would love to have an all original police or fire box for him, but the real ones are pricey.

I don't really want a working ringer in his room , we live in an apartment, so we always know when the phone is ringing. :)

I would  need a space saver to fit into the fire box I posted. I don't think anything else would work.

I may just keep looking at the police boxes, and if I find one cheap enough, it would fit a larger phone.

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Greg G.

Quote from: Steve on December 30, 2008, 08:03:15 PM
LOL!

Yeah, at least the boxes are real. I just thought that he would like to have one setup like that.

the fire box listed would be cool if I mounted a red phone in it for him :)

I would love to have an all original police or fire box for him, but the real ones are pricey.

I don't really want a working ringer in his room , we live in an apartment, so we always know when the phone is ringing. :)

I would  need a space saver to fit into the fire box I posted. I don't think anything else would work.

I may just keep looking at the police boxes, and if I find one cheap enough, it would fit a larger phone.

Did you ever find one?  I have one, but I planned to keep it, especially now that you gave me some ideas on what to do with it.  I like the "call box" idea.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

This is a completely awesome idea for your youngster!!  And the entire category search definately works the best!  These guys turned me onto it too, and I find so many more goodies!
- Tom