News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

714B 66 Punch Tool

Started by Doug Rose, December 27, 2013, 04:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have been in the trades all my adult life. I am a phoneman, although now it is  all VOIP and Video. I am no longer on the road and have been in house for the past twenty years. Old habits die hard. I love getting the old tools. Here is a 714B 66 block punch tool. Anyone who has been in the industry for decades as I have been, had one of these. The later Harris Models had the 66 and the 110 snap on blades, but this was the king of punch tools. I bid on this on eBay and won it for $10. The former owner keep his tools much better than I ever did. I got a beautiful Strap Cap Remover Tool from the same seller a few weeks ago, same outstanding condition. No its not a phone, but I am really happy with this find...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Wow, very nice find. I like those original ones, I don't own one, but a friend lets me borrow his.

Ben

Contempra

what is the utility of this tool Doug ?

Doug Rose

Basically terminating phone cable form location to the phone switch. Connecting cable on a 66 block in in office scenario. Each desk has a cable to the IDF, cables terminate in an IDF (independent distribution frame) usually a floor and are cabled down (usually a 100 pair or larger riser cable) to the MDF (main distribution frame) where the phone switch would be and the locations would be connected to the Phone switch. This is this an oldie as 110 blocks replaced them years ago. Now VOIP where the computers and phones run from the same connection. This is a dinosaur!!

This was used more in a larger offices that had multiple phones and floors. Until we moved to our new location, I used 110 blocks on the majority of our telephones. Our office has over 2000 users and we are a global company

Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Thank you Doug for the information.

Doug Rose

In large building an IDF can be a room as it is where I work. In the old days with older building it could be literally a hole in the wall.

This is one of my favorite collectables, it is a very old, pre punch down tool IDF.  All the phone locations were wired to this and the cut large cable went to the switch room. Sorry this is an old ATCA picture that I posted many years ago. Look at how beautiful the grain of the wood is. Its marked Western Electric which is no surprise with the amazing quality of the wood

I have it displayed, tucked in a corner of my phone room.

Any old phoneman out there who have pieces of history like this?.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Beautiful cross connect cabinet Doug! I have seen many different cabinets with 33 blocks in them like that. Our shops made them out of a lesser wood than oak though but never the less, well crafted boxes with latches etc.  note the fanning strips used with 33 blocks. They make excellent screw driver racks in the workshop. I have a few around and have seen others in basement workshops of people completely unrelated to the phone biz.

And that punch down tool,was the first one I ever had as well. The spring loaded Dracons that came after it were sure easier on the wrists!

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 28, 2013, 01:23:32 PM
And that punch down tool,was the first one I ever had as well. The spring loaded Dracons that came after it were sure easier on the wrists!

Terry

Amen to that Terry!

All of us that actually worked for THE Telephone Company hated the 714B versions. Anyone who ever used one to punch-down row-after-row of 66-blocks can attest to that.

The spring-loaded types are far superior and easier on the wrist and hand. Plus the impact of the non-spring loaded versions tend to physically beat-up the blocks when frequently used for cross-connects.

Perhaps those who worked for interconnects instead of an actual Telephone Company liked them if they were all they could afford.

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 27, 2013, 04:31:54 PM
Here is a 714B 66 block punch tool. Anyone who has been in the industry for decades as I have been, had one of these. The later Harris Models had the 66 and the 110 snap on blades, but this was the king of punch tools.
I have one of these too, but wouldn't want to punch down many connections using it. Sure prefer the Harris spring type to it :)   Heck, I remember years ago cutting off a wharf spike, and cutting a slot into its end so I could punch down some wires on my first 1A2 system. Nothing like having the right tools!
These may be clumsy, but, they work, and sure beat the heck out of using a cut down wharf spike!

Rube Goldberg would have loved that home brew spike punch down tool!

Update: You know, I just realized I likely still have that home made tool - Some day I must take a photo of it if for nothing more than amusement value! Perhaps of value if someone has a few 66 block connections to make, but not enough to justify the expense of a proper tool. All it takes is a thick spike and a hacksaw.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Doug-

I have reread my reply and I seem to have conveyed my opinion in too harsh of a tone.

The fact is we all have our preferences and are entitled to them as we see fit.

Often times I am not as warm and fuzzy as I should be so I apologize if I ended up offending you.

You are an extremely knowledgeable collector and I enjoy reading your post.

G-Man

Doug Rose

G-Man....no worries brother. I cursed punching down a 100 pair with this beast. As you and Terry stated, it killed your wrists. I just wanted it for the collection as it was the first one I used. When I got my first Dracon or Harris, it was a gift from the Gods of Telephony!! I remember every Friday we would collect all the excess copper and cash it in and buy Pizza and Beer. I could barely hoist a beer as my wrists ached. Ahhhh....the good old days.

I always appreciate your honesty. Not a problem at all on my end....take care....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 29, 2013, 08:36:14 AM
I could barely hoist a beer as my wrists ached. Ahhhh....the good old days.

Thank heavens they had already invented straws back then, right Doug!

Terry

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Babybearjs

looks just like the one I got on Ebay for $9.99.... this is a awesome tool! I didn't even know the blade was reversible. tried it out on my melco MC-9 and it worked great.... now, I just need to remember which way it points... already cut a wire or 2.....
John

KWilder

I so glad to hear of others that collect these items as I do. As a third generation phone tech I have been thru the years gathering up some of the old tools my Grandfather had from the central office and my father used as a linemen. I will need to get pictures and post them for all of you to enjoy. I have the old wood handle can wrenches, the linemen rotary dial test set with the small pencil / pin rotor, I have the small relay wrenches, etc. These tools are so cool, screw drivers with Bellsouth stamp in them...