News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I bought another WE302

Started by KeithB, August 23, 2010, 01:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

From eBay this weekend.  Poor thing was sitting there with a low price, and 45 minutes to go, so I played Freecell and Solitaire, watching one or two bids trickle in.  I placed mine with a minute left to go and nobody sniped it after that. :)

I can't help it.  I'm sick, and I need help.  :D

LarryInMichigan

One can never have too many 302s.  They make great gifts also.

It is really interesting to see some 302s go for $9 while others, in no better condition, go for $200+.  There is probably no other phone which gets as wide a range of ebay bids.  The last one I bought was $9.99 and was is excellent condition, except for the handset cord, and after I removed all of the gooey sticker adhesive from the shell and handset.  I gave it to a friend as a housewarming gift, and it looked brand new.  He was thrilled, but now he complains about the volume from the receiver not being as loud as from his new Chinese phones.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Keith, do you mind showing us a link to the auction?  I'm always interested in seeing what I missed.

KeithB

http://tinyurl.com/24wzlts

She's a bit used, missing a dial-card holder, but otherwise in need of some TLC...

$40 (without shipping) is my personal maximum for purchasing one of these.  I don't quite have the diligence to find the $10 surprises some of you might happen upon, and I'd rather clean one up and tinker with it, than just buy one "all purtied and gussied up". :)

KeithB

Depending on the condition and dates on this second 302, I'm considering using it as a test set for black lacquer spray painting.  The fingerwheel I painted for my first 302 came out so nicely, I'd really like to do an entire phone.  The bodies are not so difficult to sand and polish, but the older Bakelite F1 handsets just don't polish and shine so well once the outer layer is worn away.

With my luck, this one will be all matching dates and earlier than my 1946, so I shouldn't try painting it.  Maybe I'll pick up some surplus handsets from one of the dealers and practice with them, to see how it goes.

LarryInMichigan

Keith,

Steve Hilsz has alot of F1 handsets.  You may want to try him (http://phonesurplus.com/f1handset.html).

Larry

KeithB

Thanks, Larry.  That's my primary source right now.  This second 302 shouldn't arrive until Friday or Saturday at the earliest, so I'm in no hurry. :)

KeithB

I purchased two F1 handsets from Steve this week, and the Bakelite on them is in EXCELLENT condition.  I believe both my WE302s are going to receive these F1 handsets, and I'll practice painting on the older F1W that came with the first phone.  The outer layer was gone and the sawdust/asbestos flakes embedded in the Bakelite were blistering out of the plastic.    It sanded down nicely and still polished, but nowhere near as nicely as these two from Steve will.