News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill and yard sale finds

Started by Dan, August 03, 2009, 11:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I usually have better luck @ thriftstores than goodwills, but I did alright on Saturday.

My first find was an ITT BROWN from 1983. It's funny how it was still hardwired from 1983. I know it's not a WE Mahogany Brown, but for $3, it works and shined up great.

Also got an old 1960's Ross shortwave radio for $5. Poilshed the battery terminals and it works like a champ.

Last but not least, I got my first phone sign @ a yard sale for $5. I know nothing about these. it's two sided and attaches to a corner . If anyone could date this or give me a ballpark value, I'd appreciate it. It's beat up a little, but I still like it. It rests above my AE Jukebox wall phone.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

I like that sign, Dan. I've no idea of the dates or value though.
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Dan, it looks like you did pretty well.  That sign is cool.  I don't know the differences except that I know there are different designs of the Bell logo.  There are a lot of reproductions out there.  There are collectors on the ATCA (and maybe the TCI too) that collect these.  There was some recent discussion about knock-offs.  But that one looks very nice. I wish I could tell you about it but can't.  Perhaps someone else will have some insight.

Dan

Thanks for the kind words. I know it's not a repro because it is VERY thick metal and I collect soda pop and beer signs and have originals and repros.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

From the prices I've seen on some of those original signs, I'd say you did VERY well.

Phonesrfun

That sign is a great find.  Even pitted and rusted, an authetic metal and porcelan sign in that condition would still bring $50 or more on e-Bay, and there would be lots of bidders.

There are a plethora of repro cheapies out there that are sold as "mint" condition originals that really are not.  THey aslo bring big bucks.  People want them for their game rooms.

Chances are if this was a thriftstore find, it was not a repro.  Good job.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Thanks, it was a yard sale find. She said she got it from her grandmother.

McHeath

Good deal on the brown phone, I'd a grabbed it as well for 3 bucks. 

foots

Whats exchange is that on the brown phone?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan