and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1574

Started by BuddyC, January 10, 2015, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddyC

Hi,
New here....
I like to pick up old rotary phones and hang on to some, find good homes for others.  I've mostly stuck with Western Electric but just last week I picked up a bucket with some phones that had a Stromberg Carlson 1574 2 line phone (I believe that's what it is).  I'd like to remove the shell and get it cleaned up but it's not giving in as easy as the WE phones and I don't want to break it.  I did some searching here but didn't get any hits on a 1574.  Any pointers on getting this phone opened appreciated.   Also any suggestions on navigating this forum for a newbie would also be appreciated as well.

Regards
Buddy

LarryInMichigan

The shells on the SC 15xx desk phones are held by a tab in the front and a screw in the back.  Loosen the screw on the back, near the bottom, and gently lift the shell from the back.  It should hinge on the tab in the front.  Once the back end has been raised a few inches, the shell can be removed.

Larry

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

The 1574 is an interesting variation of the 1500 series.

From SC T-1114 issue 2: "The 1574-W is the same as the 1543-W except that the 1574 is equipped with a pushbutton or twist key mounted in the upper left position of the housing. The key is normally used as a transfer key to transfer ringing from one telephone to another.  It can however be used for other purposes."

The 1543 is a single line set.

Some basic info on the forum is available here:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

A good test is to see if you can post some photos of your phone!

Edit:  Found photos of two variations of 1574 on my hard drive.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

BuddyC

Thanks for the replies.  I was trying to locate a screw initially.  I'll take a closer look

'preciate it!

BuddyC

Well that was too easy.  From the outside that screw doesn't really look like it has anything to so with the shell.   :o