News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning a network

Started by Greg G., September 22, 2009, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Has to do with my AE spacemaker, but the question is really generic to any network (I would think).

What's the best way to clean the network?  Normally I don't mess with them, but this one is particularly filthy and reeks of stale nicotine.  As usual, I have pictures to show.  I think I spend more time taking pictures of my phones than I do actually working on them.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

When I clean a network like that I first spray it off with compressed air.  I then spray some 409 type cleaner on it and use a tooth brush to get into the corners.  I then dab a clean cotton cloth, like a terry cloth or athletic sock to get the moisture out and wipe away the grime.  I may use Q-tips if necessary to get into the corners.  Then I spray with air again.

I have been known to remove all the screws and clean the screw heads with the Dremmel and/or put a dolip of Simichrome polish on a terry cloth towel, spread the polish flat and then holding the screw by the threads, rub the screw head over the polish on the rag.  It cleans them pretty good.  Since you asked.........

bingster

Just to add on to something that Dennis mentioned, a toothbrush is always handy for cleaning, and even handier is a battery powered toothbrush (a Crest Spinbrush).  This is what I use, and it's much faster and easier than a regular toothbrush.  
= DARRIN =

JorgeAmely

My secret formula is Oxyclean dissolved in a little amount of water and an old toothbrush.

Brush well, rinse with warm water, blow dry and let it sit under the sun to dry really well. Don't use Oxyclean on the side markings or it will take them away.

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, I'll have to try your method.  I can help but think of Billy Mays when I read that word, Oxyclean!

JorgeAmely

Actually, I never used Oxyclean on a phone until after he died. But is the only thing that will dissolve cosmoline residue from the old AE80 phone networks.
Jorge

Greg G.

It just so happens that I just bought a new electric toothbrush.  I also have some Oxyclean to try to get some carpet stains out.  I'll give the Oxyclean using my old tb a try.  (On the network, I don't brush with Oxyclean!)  There's not much sun in Seattle, but I was going to avoid the top part and just use a dry toothbrush on it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Every telephone collector needs a good toothbrush in their toolbox.
-Bill G

foots

I also have some soft bristle paint brushes, typewriter brushes, and a few of those cleaning brushes that come with electric razors. Oh, and I have a small fingernail cleaning brush thats about 2 inches long and the handle wraps around your pointer finger on one end and your ring finger on the other. I use this one to scrub the phone housings and  handset caps. It works wonders for cleaning out the threads and holes in the caps.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Typewriter brushes?  They still make those?

- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Where do you get Simichrome polish, wherever I ask for it, they say, "gosh I didn't know they still made that, it's been awhile since I've seen any."
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

d/p  some antique stores have simichrome.   maybe the auto parts too?
donna

bingster

It's available on ebay, too... but you have to pay shipping.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I buy it at ACE Hardware.  It's about $10 for a tube.  I did recently see it at an antique store for the same price.  Try your local hardware store.

Dan/Panther

Is it pronounced See-Me-Chrome, or SEMI-chrome ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson