News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Re: My road trip - 8 phones for $90.

Started by Greg G., October 02, 2009, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

First thing first, I want to test the untested ones and try to diagnose why the 5302 is dead.  I just remembered I have a 15 ft hunk of station wire I can cut into smaller lengths and use for temporary line cords.  I just need to know where on the AE wallphone, the AE 80, and the 5302 they go.  I uploaded more pics.

On the 5302, it has a cord with a modular end that was rigged, but that one looks beat.  You can see in the picture the black wire is taped off and not connected, also there is a white wire with a spade that's supposed to go somewhere.  Doesn't matter that it's missing the bells, as long as everything else works, I can worry about those later. 

Same with the AE wallphone, as long as it will receive incoming calls, I can worry about modifying it later to get it to ring.  I think that's simply putting in a smaller clapper?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 02, 2009, 12:22:53 PM
The dial on the white 500 is color coded -58, which is the color suffix for white.  That's a nice 7C dial.  It looks like the black ringer wire is attached to the G terminal so if you leave it there your green and yellow line cord connections will have to be together at the plug.  It may be that way now.  If not, in order for it to ring just put yellow with green inside the 4 prong plug or move the black wire from G to L1.

Little confused on this.  The white 500 is fully functional, just needs a good cleaning.  When I got it, the entire phone looked the same as the handset cord.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Then the green and yellow must be connected inside that 4 prong plug.  Disregard my comment about the ringer wire, if that's what confused you.

bingster

The handsets on those 302s look really nice, too.  Sooooo many of them are completely dull, but these appear to have most of their original gloss intact.  Whatever you do with the 302s, don't use any harsh cleaners or polish on the handsets--you'll likely lose that gloss.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

sounds like you made a good trip, briny! wish i could see the pics, but i am on dial-up at the moment.

be careful, telling about your bargains. foots doesn't like it ;)

how's mom?
donna

Phonesrfun

Greg:

If the 5302 has the later style 500 handset cord, it will have 4 wires rather than 3.  The original handset cord would have three wires, a red, black, and white.  The four conductor cord has an extra white.  If you have the four conductor cord, which it looks like you do from your picture, the handset cord should be wired as such:

Red handset cord wire and one of the white handset cord wires (Doesn't matter which one) go to "R" on the network.
Black handset cord wire goes to "BK" on the dial, along with another black wire from the condenser.
The other white wire from the handset cord goes to the "W" terminal on the dial. 

It looks like the white wire that should go to "W" on the dial has come loose.

-Bill

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I am going to also post the connections to the dial, because as I look at the picture of the dial, they all seem to be off.

W should have that white wire from the handset cord.
BK should have two black wires.  One from the handset cord and the other is the black from the condenser.
BB should have the brown-blue wire coming from the hookswitch
R should have a slate-red wire that goes to L1 on the induction coil.
Y should have a brown-yellow wire from the hookswitch.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Greg:

The AE 80 desk set and the AE90 wall phone will need the line wires hooked to terminals number 8 and 10 on the networks.  The wall phone with the 66.6~ ringer will never work at 20~, regardless of the clapper.  The AE80 has a straight line (SL) ringer, which should work just fine if hooked up correctly.

As a side note, your AE80 is an earlier model, which is heavier than all git-out, and has the older style potted network and the manual compensation, as indicated by the little potentiometer in the base that is marked with numbers of 1,2,3,and 4.  This was supposed to be set by the installer when the phone was placed in service and not to be touched by the subscriber.  It was set based on how far the house was from the central office.  People adjusted them anyway, and for the life of me, I cannot tell any difference when I adjust mine, so it probably did little good unless a subscriber were to be miles and miles from the CO.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

One more thing on the 5302 for ringing.  Actually buzzing, because the gongs are missing.  Interestingly enough, a B1A ringer as found in the 302 and 5302 phones without the gongs is what switchboards of that era used as buzzers.

To make it ring.....er...buzz, hook it up like this:

The red wire from the ringer, hook to L1 on the induction coil;
The black wire from the ringer, hook to the K terminal on that little square terminal board;
The slate wire (probably more like a mud color with aging) from the condenser, hook also to the K terminal;
The yellow wire from the condenser, hook to L2/Y on the induction coil.

It may be difficult to tell the yellow from the slate wires from the condenser due to the age.  No matter, since the condenser is not polarized, so it does not matter which is connected where, so if you reverse them it's no biggie.  The other two wires from the condenser are red and black, which are easy to tell apart, even with age.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on October 02, 2009, 09:28:09 PM
sounds like you made a good trip, briny! wish i could see the pics, but i am on dial-up at the moment.

be careful, telling about your bargains. joshua doesn't like it ;)

how's mom?

That one is going right over my head, who's Joshua?  ???  Go ahead, you can get even for me hating you finding twins, since I found two 302s in one spot.

Mom is fine, thanks for asking.  I hope I am as independent as she is when I get to be 87.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 02, 2009, 05:12:14 PM
The handsets on those 302s look really nice, too.  Sooooo many of them are completely dull, but these appear to have most of their original gloss intact.  Whatever you do with the 302s, don't use any harsh cleaners or polish on the handsets--you'll likely lose that gloss.

Is Novus 2 too harsh?  Maybe just use Novus 1, which is basically a cleaner?
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I don't have any experience with Novus, but I meant something like ivory soap.  Really mild.  If you have anything made of bakelite, and it's in good shape, but dirty, you don't want to do anything but clean--no polishing of any kind.  On the other hand, if your handsets are worn (I can't tell from the pics, but they look awfully nice) then polish away.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

As a side note, the guy I bought the lot of 5 phones from also had a candlestick and a metal 302, but they weren't for sale.  He's not a phone buff, but a railroad buff.  He had a vintage tall RR signal next to his driveway, and the barn where he had the phones was filled with antique RR stuff.

He was also telling me about a phone collector around Salem, OR named Phil who had as much phone stuff as he did RR stuff.  Is that anybody here?
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 03, 2009, 03:19:58 AM
I don't have any experience with Novus, but I meant something like ivory soap.  Really mild.  If you have anything made of bakelite, and it's in good shape, but dirty, you don't want to do anything but clean--no polishing of any kind.  On the other hand, if your handsets are worn (I can't tell from the pics, but they look awfully nice) then polish away.

I took more pics of both the handsets and phones and uploaded them to that same photobucket link.  The bodies look fairly shiny too, except one has some reddish scuff marks on it.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/302s/  ( dead link 11/10/17 )
- Mike Row
e

foots

Bwanna, I heard that  :P
Nice finds Brinybay. Oh, and by the way, I'm Joshua.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"