News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magneto not working

Started by phonium, March 15, 2020, 02:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonium

I am trying to get a magneto to work with a ringer but it is not turning smoothly and not ringing. Does anyone have advice?
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: phonium on March 15, 2020, 02:18:36 PM
I am trying to get a magneto to work with a ringer but it is not turning smoothly and not ringing. Does anyone have advice?

I think it is best if you are asking for help to give as much information about the problem as possible. As it is, the only way to answer your question is with a question.

Is anything connected to the magneto when you experience this or does it only happen when the ringer is connected?

Jack

phonium

It does not work with any of my ringers
It does not work without a ringer
Oiling the gears doesn't help
It is very hard to turn and doesn't produce any electricity

That is all I have tested so far
George Amores
ATCA#4857

rdelius

Hard to turn can indicate a load across the output. (shorted) See if the switch is working or not damaged by lightning

RB

If it turns kind of clunky, it may be a short.
If it is just difficult  to turn, the bushings, or armature may be dirty.
has it been serviced?

phonium

George Amores
ATCA#4857

phonium

George Amores
ATCA#4857

rdelius

Remove or isolate the switch. See if the magneto turns freely. It should. if not, the coils might be shorted. This feels differently than lack of lubrication.

phonium

Whats a 'switch'? Sorry, I am not good with magnetos
George Amores
ATCA#4857

rdelius

When you turn the crank on the magneto, the shaft turns and moves in or out. At the end of the shaft are contacts. This is what I was refering to. They could not be opening and closing properly or hidden lightning damage. If you insert a thin piece of plastic or cardboard between the shaft and the contacts, this will isolate the switch. The magneto should turn easier unless the coils are shorted

phonium

It is easier, but not easy.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

TelePlay

The attached PDF file contains pages 185-187 of a 1923 WE Catalog from the TCI website showing several different magnetos switch/circuit designs

WE 1923 Catalog #5 - scroll down to document page 189.

The switch position is circled in yellow in the image below. These may or may not be one like yours. At least it shows where it is.

From experience, I have found that a magneto can turn "clunky" or hard when not connected to ringer or connected to a ringer that is not a proper load, or, shorted out for some reason.