News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

how to remove mouthpiece from WE 653?

Started by newb, February 06, 2012, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newb

hi, i'm working on a western electric 653A right now and am having a tough time removing the (bakelite) bulldog transmitter from the (steel) back/mount.

i was thinking that after removing the four tiny screws from the sides that it would simply drop out.  not so in this case.  i'm afraid to use too much force, i don't want to break something.

is there a trick to removing it?

thanks!

ps.  if this is the wrong place to post this, or it has already been answered, please accept my apology and point me in the right direction...

newb

No one knows?  Maybe a few photos will help.

This is sometimes called a hotel phone.

This one has a cover plate instead of a dial so it truly may have been a hotel room phone.

one photo is the phone closed.
another photo is the phone open, looking inside.
the closeup is the important one as you can see that the bulldog transmitter is snug in the mouthpiece housing, so snug that I can't remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove the bulldog transmitter from the housing?

DavePEI

Quote from: newb on February 06, 2012, 09:30:09 PM
No one knows?  Maybe a few photos will help.

This is sometimes called a hotel phone.

This one has a cover plate instead of a dial so it truly may have been a hotel room phone.

1st photo is the phone closed.
2nd is the phone open, looking inside.
3rd is the important one as you can see that the bulldog transmitter is snug in the mouthpiece housing, so snug that I can't remove it.

Does anyone know how to remove the bulldog transmitter from the housing?

Undo the screws around the lip, and with a thin screwdriver, gently pry the bulldog portion of the transmitter out. They stick some times and need some gentle persuasion.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

newb

I already removed the 4 screws, and prying with a screwdriver seems fruitless.

This sucker is in there tight!

Will putting a few drops of silicone lubricant in the gap help, has anyone tried this?

Also will the silicone effect the bakelite?

DavePEI

Quote from: newb on February 06, 2012, 09:40:22 PM
I already removed the 4 screws, and prying with a screwdriver seems fruitless.

This sucker is in there tight!

Will putting a few drops of silicone lubricant in the gap help, has anyone tried this?

Also will the silicone effect the bakelite?

Shouldn't effect it. Keep trying. The only thing holding it in is the tightness of the mount and perhaps some dirt build-up from over the years...

When using the screwdriver to pry it, do it as though you were opening a paint can lid, gradually move it wound the lip of the mouthpiece - it will eventually start moving. Don't apply too much pressure - it is possible to chip the edge.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Here's a discussion we had not too long ago about removing the bulldog transmitter.  Maybe something here will help.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6076.msg72302#msg72302
Dave