News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

too much black!

Started by Babybearjs, February 24, 2018, 10:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:( why was this color soooo popular.... I'm getting tired of it.....
John

oldguy

Black or not, still nice phones
Gary

Babybearjs

yeh, I even have a 576 3 line in black.... 
John

AE_Collector

Start adding some colour!

Terry

dsk

In the start it was a tool, and not so much of a decoration. I,m used to it, and black is OK everywhere (for me). Maybe a little like Henry Ford and the T-ford. you could get it  in any color you wanted, as log as you wanted black!

dsk

AL_as_needed

Also have to figure most business with key sets didn't care about how the phone matched the decor, like dsk said, it's a tool first and foremost, so black was fine enough.   

Could always try painting one or finding replacement shells.
TWinbrook7

poplar1

In the Bell System, there was a one-time charge for any color other than black for rotary dial phones.. With Touch-Tone, there was no extra charge for color.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

I remember hearing here that a hard-wired Black WE 2500 is actually hard to find due to that pricing change.  I believe that was pointed out as folks discussed hunting for a Phone matching the intro sequence in the "Rockford Files" TV show from the 70s.

I was surprised to learn that the "any color other than black will cost you" approach is still alive and well,  being used to market the Tesla Model 3.  As you may know, the $35K base price includes black paint; any other color is $1K more.  Henry Ford, Ma Bell, and Johnny Cash would probably be pleased.... 😎
Paul