"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotatone Installation - Western Electric Model 500

Started by Dennis Markham, March 12, 2010, 10:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

Dennis,

Yes, I know that rotary phones work on many VOIP services.  My 504 wall phone that works does not work on the service that I currently have coming into my home.  I use Wide Open West.  I get a dial tone but dialing out just gives me a message to connect to an operator so that tells me that rotery phones do not work here at home.  That is why I'm asking if a Rotatone has been installed in any 202 phoneset/subset combo which I'm about to restore.  I saw your instructions on installing the device on a 500 phone which was very helpful as I may do that w/ my 504 phone.

Thanks for the response.

Dan

gpo706

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 15, 2010, 11:20:03 PM
Jim:

So now you have 2?

I had a 308 and a 616 at one time, and I sold the 308 to someone on this forum a while back.  When I had them both here, just for fun, I hooked them up so that I picked up an extension on the 308 and dialed 9, to get an outside line which just happened to be connected to an extension on the 616, so I heard its dial tone and dialed a 9 again to get the real outside line.  There was no purpose in doing this, but I am prone to doing dumb things like that.

You surely mean you had an extention out of the 308 to one of the spare CO lines in on the 616 ?

I've entertained similar daft notions myself, but was too feart the 4 REN out might frazzle the sub-PBX...?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Phonesrfun

It worked ok, except it was a little riddiculous.
-Bill G

WadeP

Just hoping someone could give me some pointers with regards to hooking up a Rotatone with a Northern Telecom NE500 Series. I attempted using the instructions posted at OldPhoneWorks for the Western Electric 500, but had no luck. My unit seems to have some duplicate contacts and I am a little lost. See attached:

JorgeAmely

Jorge

WadeP

I had reviewed it, but like I mentioned the internals are different on the Northern Telecom unit. Matching his setup, I get nothing from the Rotatone.

Photo below, I know its a mess:

Dennis Markham

Wade, I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help to you.  I have not worked with a network as new as what you have there.  Is that a diagram that Oldphoneworks provided, or a diagram of your phone?  OPW is very helpful if you give them a call and talk to Mike about your issue.  I'm sure he or someone will provide you with some guidance.