News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

#5H Dial

Started by bigdaddylove, August 23, 2011, 02:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

Currently, I have three different WE phones. All of them have a 5H dial, but all three sound different.

The 302 is the most quiet and I know it has the plastic cam. It is from around 1948.

The 211 is louder and is from around 1941.

The D1 is the very loudest. In fact, I thought it was a #4 at first since it is pretty clickity-clackity. But once I got the phone taken apart, I noticed it was a 5H built in 1935 but refurbed in 1950.

Is it normal to have the same model dial make three different sounds? I am taking into consideration that they are housed differently. However, that should not make such a difference.

Thanks!

Stephen Furley

I can't speak for WE No. 5 dials because I don't have one, but I've got two No. 4 which sound somewhat different.  there seems to be less difference between AE ones of the same model.  On my GPO 'phones there is a huge difference between dials of the same type, mainly on the later models as used in the 706, less so with the No. 10 and 12 used in candlesticks and Bakelite models.

Bill

In at least some of thos phones, the dial was originally mounted on a rubber gasket, probably to make it quieter. It is common for this gasket to be missing. It is also possible that the mounting screws have been torqued down so tightly that the rubber is highly compressed and no longer dampens the sound. Don't know if that is the full answer, but maybe part of it.

Bill

Sargeguy

I have a few that sound different even out of the phone.  I think older ones tend to be louder.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 23, 2011, 02:57:21 AM
Currently, I have three different WE phones. All of them have a 5H dial, but all three sound different.

The 302 is the most quiet and I know it has the plastic cam. It is from around 1948.

The D1 is the very loudest. In fact, I thought it was a #4 at first since it is pretty clickity-clackity. But once I got the phone taken apart, I noticed it was a 5H built in 1935 but refurbed in 1950.

Is it normal to have the same model dial make three different sounds? I am taking into consideration that they are housed differently. However, that should not make such a difference.

Thanks!
Please post a picture of the 1935 5H. I always thought the 5H was made in the beginning of 1937. The early '37 302s came with a 4H later to be replace with the early 37 5H. A '35 5H would be a real nice find....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I think I have seen an early #5 dial that had the same gearing as a #4 .It did not sound like a#5
Robby

bigdaddylove

rdelius, I think that is what I have. Although it is a 5H, the back looks more like a 4 than a 5. The big difference is that this 5 doesn't have the "matchstick" (that's what I call it) ratchet thingy.

I

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 24, 2011, 07:21:47 PM
Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 23, 2011, 02:57:21 AM

Thanks!
Please post a picture of the 1935 5H. I always thought the 5H was made in the beginning of 1937. The early '37 302s came with a 4H later to be replace with the early 37 5H. A '35 5H would be a real nice find....Doug
Any chance you could post a picture of the 1935 5H dial? I would appreciate it..Doug
Kidphone

bigdaddylove

Here ya go...

bigdaddylove

Here is a .wav file (should be able to play on most computers) of two different 5H dials.

http://tinyurl.com/3testyr

The first is a 1941 WE 211; the second is a 1937 D1.

BDL

Dennis Markham

That second one sure sounds like a #4 dial....much different than the first.  I don't think I've ever run across a #5 that sounded like that.

Wallphone

It looks like you will need to straighten both pulse springs/contacts. They should be normally closed when at rest. Thanks for the pics.
Doug Pav

bigdaddylove

I noticed that as well and at times it would short out. I am planning to send the dial to Steve in TX for a refurb since I didn't want to muck with it and make matters worse.
I am finally learning that lesson after 40 some odd years.  ;D

Thanks!

Doug Rose

Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 26, 2011, 02:21:29 PM
Here ya go...
its is a third quarter 1937 and will sound like a 4H. Unfortunately not from 1935. This were on the first runs of the 302s after the 4Hs. Real nice dial..Doug
Kidphone

bigdaddylove

At first, I didn't understand why people were assuming my 5H was from '35.  ??? Then, I noticed that in my original post I said it was from '35.  :o I meant to say the D1 body was from '35.  Sorry about the confusion.