News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's this Frequency Ringer thingy?

Started by AviatorAddis, January 10, 2013, 02:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AviatorAddis

I have a 50hz frequency ringer on a AE40 I'd like to make work on a Straight Line.  I've read about people trimming a reed.  I don't see anything like the pictures of seen on my ringer, but I do see this long wire sticking out between the coils slotted in this guide that is circled.  Is that the reed and can that be trimmed down to 20hz?  If it's not, what is it and it's purpose?  Thanks.

stub

AviatorAddis ,
                That's to keep your bell from tinkling ::). Yes seriously, the tab holds the bias spring in place to keep the clapper against one bell  . The pluse from the dials return causes the clapper to move if the spring is released.
                 Your pic appears to be a straight line ringer or st. line ringer bottom? Here's a pic of the difference . The frequency ringer is on the top in my pic.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AviatorAddis

Hm.. My picture is slightly deceptive in perspective, but the clapper is above that wire thingy.  Both the clapper and this wire seem to be mounted to the same plate in the back.  Is that wire the spring itself?  It's not much of one if it is.  The clapper rests right between the bells.

The serial number on the coil starting with a "D"denotes 50hz from another users post.  So I assume that it's accurate and explains why it doesn't ring.

If there is a reed on this thing, where is it?

Phonesrfun

Your ringer looks to be a straight line ringer just looking visually.  that "thingy" is a bias spring.  Your issue with ringing or not is probably just a wiring issue as opposed to a frequency issue.
-Bill G

AviatorAddis

yeah, you guys are right.  I think it's a straight line myself.  The number was
D-56515-A.  Someone had posted what the prefixes were.  At any rate, guess I'm going to have to dig with the wiring if that's the case.  Everything was rather clean and well fastened in this phone.  Nothing obviously wrong.  Thanks!

Phonesrfun

Stub will know for sure, but I thought all AE parts start with the "D-" designation.  Your phone was probably wired for party line ringing, and just needs to be changed to bridged ringing.
-Bill G

stub

AviatorAddis ,
                 Wire up your ringer like this-   L 2 to one side of ringer- other side of ringer to connection 5 in phone - L 1 to one side of capacitor - other side of capacitor to connection 4 on phone and it should ring if nothing else has been changed.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

That ringer is definitely a straight line ringer.  Frequency ringers do not need bias springs because they will only ring at the correct frequency.

Larry

AviatorAddis

hehe.  I diagnosed myself with "frequency ringer" on the internet.  Glad I wasn't sick, it could have been worse.

Turn's out, a lead from the ringer was attached to a null connection.  I assume that was a way of turning off the ringer.  It works now.  Yeay!  Thanks guys.

Here's a photo of it.  I also polished the bottom plate and put a coat of Everclear on it.  Looks rather spiffy.

AE_Collector

Yes it is the prefix on the OTHER end of the D number that tells the story.  "A" is Straight Line, you got lucky!

Terry