"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to rotary: Need help with a S-C 1543w

Started by wheelhorse, June 12, 2012, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelhorse

Hello all,

I am new to rotary phones. Most of my antique restoration has been radios, turntables, and kitchen appliances, so this is a whole new world :D

Anyway, I have a Stromberg-Carlson Model 1543w telephone I just picked up for $10 dollars to use as a home phone.  Right now, I have torn into in, checking wiring diagrams etc, but since Im not familiar with phones I don't know the first things to check.  Here is what I am experiencing.

When the phone is plugged into the socket and you pick up the phone, there is no dial tone.  There is however, power going to the headset as you can hear your voice in the earpiece.  When you push the disconnect with your fingers, it turns off the headset.  The rotary dial seems to operate correctly, and you can hear the pulses in the earpiece when you turn the dial but it does not dial out.

Here is how the line coming into the phone is connected:

Green (from line)  \
                              ------------ L-1
Red (from ringer)  /

Red (from line) -------------------L-2

Yellow (from line)----------------- G

Black (from line)       \
                                 ------------C-1
Black (from Ringer)  /

c-2 Empty

Any help would be awesome

G-Man

Wiring and schematics for the 1543W are included in the pdf shown in this link-                              http://tinyurl.com/7xplude

G-Man

Also, keep in mind that your instrument may have a two-step hookswitch, originally used for monitoring on a party-line, which requires an additional step to obtain dial-tone.

dsk

I have just read about those 2 step versions, but just try if may pull one of the plungers on the cradle further to make it working.   :P

dsk

wheelhorse

Okay...this is embarrassing...

Turns out, my problem wasn't the phone at all...turns out Comcast set up my modem incorrectly, but after an hour on the phone (and about 3 disconnects) they were able to get it set up properly.  The phone dials out just fine.

The problem I'm finding now, that I would like to learn more about is that when receiving calls, the ringer doesn't want to work.  I have read something about a 'frequency ringer' but unfortunately I'm not sure what that is.  I've timed calls with my housemate, and I CAN receive incoming calls, but without a ringer, it's hard to know when that is happening.  Has anybody had any luck with fixes/hacks to use the original ringer, or does this require replacements?

dsk

Try to move black from ringer from c1 to c2.

dsk

dsk

A frequency ringer has a kind of spring action, but the straight line ringer has a kind of hinge. (it may have an additional spring making it "parking" on the same side always.

dsk

wheelhorse

Okay, just about to switch the ringer to c2.  Also, yes, it is a straight line, two bells, and it seems like it's permanently held against one bell.  I'll let you know in a minute!

G-Man

You can identify the frequency of the ringer by reading the manual that is shown in the previously provided link. It will be marked 73x, with the x representing a letter corresponding to the ringer's frequency.

wheelhorse

Alas, moving black ringer to c-2 does not result in a ring.  Should the red ringer wire perhaps be on L-2?  The phone won't explode if I try it will it?  

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on June 12, 2012, 03:58:28 PM
You can identify the frequency of the ringer by reading the manual that is shown in the previously provided link. It will be marked 73x, with the x representing a letter corresponding to the ringer's frequency.

Correction, besides the 73x-series of frequency ringers, 74A straight-line and 71B tube ringers were also used. All of these are shown in the manual.

wheelhorse

Okay, I will do some research on these ringers, as I am not well versed in this art.  It appears there is a magnet, and a capacitor between the line and the ringer.  Also, switching L1 to L2 doesn't seem to do it either.  In fact, I think it does something with the call waiting with comcast since on a test call, the calling phone keeps ringing as I get a dial tone on the rotary. 

I'm sorry if I'm making newbie statements/questions.  This is all very intriguing.

G-Man

"It appears there is a magnet, and a capacitor between the line and the ringer."

This is explained in the manual.

Once more, if you look on the ringer assembly there will be an aforementioned code that will tell us what we are dealing with and how to proceed.

Please look at it and tell us what it is.

wheelhorse

Okay, after looking at the schematic provided above, it appears to be a 73 ringer from comparing the two.  Since there is no loudness control, it suggests connecting the red of the ringer to terminal 3.  I moved red to 3 and black to c-1 as shown to no avail.

G-Man

What is the code stamped on your ringer?