News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 273 F Single Gong Subset

Started by Doug Rose, July 14, 2018, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is really different with the Single gong. I have had this for years. I bought it for $8 at Todd Farm Flea Market along time ago. I really nice shape with original decal and Nickel Gong. Any idea what this was used for??,,,,,Doug
Kidphone

skyrider

Very cool Doug. Reminds me of the old European wood wall sets with a single gong. Perhaps they did not want it to ring too loud.

Bill Compton

Sargeguy

I have one too, also oak.  I always assumed it was for an Interphone sysrem, mine is hooked up to a stick with a small 302 transmitter
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Thanks Bill.  It is really different. Single gong caught my eye!

Greg...I would like to get mine working as well.  Is mine missing any parts? There are screw holes above the condenser.  Could you take a picture of the inside of yours so I can wire mine up?....thanks... ...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Shown as one of several subsets used with the No. 1 Residence System. That system has two outside lines, hold, and intercom.

C65.701 in TCI Library. (Have to use the google search feature at TCI library: 273F)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....I brought dial tone to L1 and L2 but no ring. I just want it to ring, any ideas how I should wire it. I can't find ground to bridge it to. What do you think was where the screw holes are?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

The "bell" is 100 ohms so not designed to ring on an outside line.

Doug Rose

Thanks David...I do appreciate it.....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Here is what mine looks like inside, for what it's worth. I had a 4-conductor 302 connected to it but it was not functionl.  The ringer is not even hooked up on this one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Doug.
Follow the wires soldered to the hinges.
I believe your lookin at B, on the side, and BZ on bottom for bells?
But, yeah, 100 ohms will kill the line on CB phones.

poplar1

The No. 1 Residence System used desk stands (candlesticks) that had an extra set of contacts in the hookswitch. The bell was in series with these extra contacts, so that the bell was disconnected when the receiver was off the hook.

I'm guessing that the condenser and induction coil are compatible with an outside line, since one of the features of the No. 1 Residence System was being able to pick up one or two outside lines (Trunk-1 and T-2).

Doug Rose

Thanks guys..it will be just for display then....beautiful day on the Cape!!...Doug
Kidphone