"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring WE 500DM With 425E Network

Started by gands-antiques, February 12, 2013, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I am trying to rewire my 500DM with a 425E network and I used the diagram TCI Library fro 500 C/D telephones.

Currently the phone has a dial tone, will dial out and receive calls but it doesn't ring. If I pick up the handset when an incoming call is in process I can receive a call but it doesn't ring

- I have a question about the handset plug because mine has a red, green, black and white color wires and the TCI diagram shows a red, black and 2 white wires?

- Also, my hook switch has 7 wires and they are all solid colors...red, brown, blue, white, green, yellow and grey wires. The TCI diagram shows 7 wires but only 3 are labeled and they are labeled slate black, slate red and slate brown.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

paul-f

Color codes changed with model numbers and occasionally due to production changes during the life of a phone.  If the diagram you find doesn't match your phone, you can either check the two ends of the wire to determine which wire in the drawing goes with your set or look for another drawing that's a closer match with your set.

One difference between the 500D and 500DM is the modular handset cord.  The jack in the phone uses different colors than the 500D's hardwired handset cord.

Try looking at the connections diagram in BSP 502-521-402 in the Library.

The switchhook wiring probably matches the original date of the bottom plate - also usually the network date.  You may need to find a BSP from about that date to get the current color coding.  Unfortunately, some of the early set wires tended to fade, so determining the color of the wires may involve some guesswork.

If the colors aren't labeled, you may have to trace the wires manually.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gands-antiques

Thanks Paul,

I'll see what I can figure out with the information you provided.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Gary

twocvbloke

Black wire on G, if that's from the ringer, it's on the wrong terminal, has to go to L1... :)

gands-antiques

Thank you. The black wire was from the ringer and I moved it to L1 but still no ring.

I also have wired it exactly like the TCI diagram Paul F recommended (502-521-402) and still no ring.

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

RESOLVED.....I just replaced the 4 wire ringer with a 2 wire ringer and I wired the black ringer wire to L1, the red ringer wire to K and then I added a jumper from L2 to A and now it is working perfectly

I got the 2 wire ringer wiring info from a post by poplar1 on December 13, 2012. Thanks!!

I really appreciate the help provided by everyone who assisted with my non-ringing 500DM issue.

Thanks,
Gary
========================

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 12, 2013, 02:36:34 PM
Thank you. The black wire was from the ringer and I moved it to L1 but still no ring.

I also have wired it exactly like the TCI diagram Paul F recommended (502-521-402) and still no ring.

Thanks,
Gary