News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stupid Question (trivial)

Started by Dan, June 30, 2011, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

OK.  Here's something interesting.  I own three copies of the ITT Telephone Instrument Maintenance Manual (from 1964, 1970 and 1977).

The 1964 manual includes the illustration below.  So, it seems that some point, ITT/Kellogg phones DID have only 6 holes.   They added the seventh hole at some point possibly after the 60's, as all of my sets with 7 holes are from the seventies and later.

It is interesting to note that even though they went to 7 holes, they didn't update this illustration in their later manuals.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

Quote from: Wallphone on June 30, 2011, 12:05:56 PM
No doubt it would add an operation, but it might save the hassle of repairing the small pins in the die all the time. Where are you at Paul F., do you know the details on the process?
Doug Pav

If you must know, Doug, I was in Bristol, RI with friends today.  We were getting a jump on what's billed as "the oldest continuous [4th of July] celebration in the country."  http://www.july4thbristolri.com/  There was a lot of red, white and blue visible everywhere -- including the center stripe on the roads.

I'm with Jonathan and Russ on this one.  BTW, I doubt it adds an operation.  It was common at the time for high volume manufacturing lines to have machines that would drill dozens of holes in a single operation.

Another data point is the transmitter cap on the 691A Subset that has no holes.
 http://www.paul-f.com/we691.htm

FWIW, I don't recall seeing anything in BSPs or the BSTJ talking about sound issues that would be solved by adding a hole.  The reason may be as simple as providing a simple visual means for a repair person or refurbisher to identify whether a cap was hard or soft plastic in case it made a difference in the future.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Willytx

Quote from: Adam on June 30, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

So, now, enquiring minds want to know:  Why do Americans need 7 holes, but Canadians only 6?

I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.  :o

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Willytx on July 01, 2011, 01:05:14 AM
I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.  :o

Oh sure, let's get the Polish involved in this as well. How many holes do they get?

Terry

JimH

Maybe with the extra "scrap" left by the seventh hole, they were able to melt it back down and get an extra earpiece out of it after each 10,000 were made ;D
Jim H.

jsowers

Here, as promised, is the picture from the Transmitter. I was in error a little. It was the C&P Bell Transmitter, from January-February, 1958, and the holes were die cut and not drilled, according to the small blurb under the picture. You can see the transmitter cap flying away behind the machine as another cap is put on for perforation.

I will post the entire article soon. It's about the Shadeland plant in Indianapolis and how a phone is manufactured.
Jonathan