News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Silvertone phone

Started by Judinic, October 28, 2020, 08:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judinic

Hi. I just got this phone and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of, or seen this model. Wondering what year it might be from.  On the inside is a metal label that says Sears and Roebuck with some numbers for the chassis.  You can't see it well in the picture, but there is a lever on the front. The bell rings when pulled down.  It's missing the cap or knob.  The receiver fits tightly into the side.  All I can find out regarding Silvertone, just mentions, Sears, guitars, radios and amps.

Thanks in advance, Judi

LarryInMichigan

Silvertone was the Sears brand name for various electronic products including radios and amplifiers.  I expect that this thing was part of an intercom or PA system.  It was not a standard telephone.

Larry

HarrySmith

Agreed. Definitely a Sears intercom. Pictures of the inside might help identify it further.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

I believe it's a private-label version of the Wheeler sound-powered telephone. Here are a few photos...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Judinic

Paul, thanks so much for the pics and info.  Knowing that opened up a whole new search area, much appreciated. Thanks also to Larry and Harry for the input.

Judi

paul-f

You're welcome, Judi.

Let us know if you find anything interesting. There doesn't seem to be much readily available, and the topic is likely to come up in the future. It would be nice to have some documentation added to the message archive.

In the meantime, what elements are in your handset? Are there any markings on the outside of the handset or internal parts?

Here's one example I found on-line...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Judinic

Hi Paul.  There are no markings on the handset, inside or outside.  The inside of the handset looks exactly like the picture you posted. So far I've only found out  about sound powered phones in general. Still can't find anything specific to the one I have.  Mine looks very similar to yours, do you know what year it's from?

I'm including a few pics of the inside of the phone. It has the wiring schematic and parts list inside.

Thanks, Judi

HarrySmith

i am leaning towards a regular telephone. It is labeled as such and it has a condensor. I am far from an expert on these but my vote is not sound powered.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Adjusted photo to make it easier to read.  :)

ETA with additional info:

Sold by Sears Roebuck and Co
'Sears and Roebuck Silvertone Sound Powered Intercom'

Thermo plastic shell, bakelite handset
Metal tag inside housing identifies the chasis #
Housing marked Silvertone
Rubber cords

—-

Screenshot courtesy of:
http://www.kristinholt.com/archives/5051
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Via Internet search:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

SUnset2

Is there a battery for the bell, or does the lever turn a little magneto?

rdelius

You pull the lever and it strikes the gong.You hear  the gong noise through the rec of the handset.,I think that is what i remember.Some early Bell sets had a small hammer to hit the diaphram and you heard the noise on the other set.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on October 31, 2020, 01:36:31 PM
You pull the lever and it strikes the gong.You hear  the gong noise through the rec of the handset.
That has always been my understanding of how the signaling works on these sets.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Judinic

Hi all, Harry, thanks for your input.  The phone is back together and mounted now, but I don't remember seeing any type of battery for the bell.

FABphones, glad you adjusted my pic, I'm terrible at those things.  I'm lucky I actually got the pics attached🙂.  And thanks for posting all the info. It takes be awhile sometimes and a lot of changing my searches to find things, so I very much appreciate everything you found.

Thanks again,  Judi
Ps, love the last line of your posts, my life hasn't changed much with the pandemic, guess I'm anti social 😂

rdelius

There are no batteries . This is sound powered and the noise from the gong is picked up by the handset