News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally Acquired a WE 555 Switchboard

Started by trainman, February 01, 2017, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

In the process of cleaning up my 555. Frame was filthy, and every nook and cranny has dead ladybugs and some sort of beetle on them. Even inside the relays.

So, here is what a 555 looks like stripped down to the frame.

trainman

Also the marking for the Battery and Buzzer switches were completly worn off. Using the Neuses stencil kit , i replicated them.

trainman

The Split Key markinhs were a little better. The Yes designation was completly worn away. That was done with the stencils.

The Split and No designations still had some engraving left
I used a Markal Lacquer Stick to fill the engravings with.

Jim Stettler

Looks like you are off to a good start on restoring it.
You may want to seriously consider  putting wheels on it before you reassemble it. Wheels are a very practicle upgrade on theses switchboards.

JMO ,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

trainman

Came with wheels. But I think Im going to change them to a heavier type, and make the front wheels locking.

trainman

A clean cord unit. Only 10 more to go.

pdxjim911

Did you do something special to clean the cords?  I have a 555 that I'm working on as well.  Are you going to provide power from a 1A2 supply?

I think I will build a platform to hold the power supply. It will mount inside the bottom of the frame.

Nice work on the stenciling!

Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

trainman

Just wiping them down with a damp rag and water. Im not taking the cords off. Everything is tied in a knot where it connects to the terminals on the unit. Rubber insulation is getting brittle. I used brasso to clean the tarnish off the cord plugs.

Yes, I have an  Elgin Electronics power supply. It is what Stromberg Carlson used in their key systems.