News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Name That Receiver!!!

Started by Sargeguy, January 29, 2014, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I've started a new sticky topic to deal to test the knowledge and skill of our membership on a subject we all care deeply about:  unmarked receivers!!!

Here is our first candidate:
The receiver magnet is a Western Electric 75Z type
The cap has "2401" stamped inside
The shell is unmarked but has a visible seam going up one side
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

Sargeguy

It thought it looked Stromberg-Carlsonish.  I am not sure the cap matches the shell, it is not WE either and is a little loose.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The shell looks like an unmarked Leich.  The cap is a Kellogg. 
Dave

wds

The front of that cap definitely looks like a Kellogg, but the back of the cap is flat, where as the Kellogg is rounded.  So I'm not sure now who made the cap - maybe a repro?
Dave

Sargeguy

The cap does not look like a Kellogg in person.  The sides are too flat.  It looks a little like a WE but the edges are too smooth.  It is not a repro, too old and cracked. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Here's a kellogg cap.  The outer portion is round all the way around.  Looks nicer than the caps with the flat bottom.
Dave

poplar1

Point taken. Well, whatever cap Sargeguy has, I have one just like it. It even has a similar mold mark with a comet-like tail.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

I figured out the cap - it's an unmarked Stromberg Carlson.  The shell is very similar to a Kellogg I have - complete with the seam, or more likely a Leich.  I have the same problem with some of my receivers - mismatched caps and shells. 
Dave