"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally finished our Northern Electric 717 in White / Brass

Started by mazda_matt, November 10, 2017, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 12, 2017, 08:52:33 AM
For reference, this is how they looked originally looked before the refurb. Really a beautiful telephone. Notice the Northern Electric burned into the wood, sharp looking. Made in 1957, one of my favorite phones!!..Doug

Doug, did you strip the paint off the hook and keyhole cover? I've only ever seen them painted black. Its too bad they used bronze in the hook or else they would buff up real nice.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

Doug Rose

Matt....Just the way it was found, maybe a little cleaner....Doug
Kidphone

mazda_matt

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Kjmcmurdo

The white/brass combo looks AWESOME!  I have 2.  One in great condition, but the other needs work.  Would you mind sharing your process?

Kjmcmurdo

The white/brass combo looks AWESOME!  I have 2.  One in great condition, but I think I  might try painting it
Did  the 717 come in any other colors?

Ktownphoneco

They left the factory finished as yours are, a sort of combination stain and varnish over the maple case.     If they were ever refurbished for any reason, they were quite often painted "black".      No other colors were ever used that I'm aware of, except perhaps by telephone hobbyists or collectors. 

Jeff Lamb

Kjmcmurdo

Thank you, Jeff.  I'm gonna try Black.  The ringer gongs are currently black, should i leave them black or remove the paint so the brass could give some CONTRAST? Or, were they usually black?

mazda_matt

Quote from: Kjmcmurdo on November 14, 2017, 01:37:48 PM
The white/brass combo looks AWESOME!  I have 2.  One in great condition, but the other needs work.  Would you mind sharing your process?

Just sand down using a 400 grit paper, making sure to get any scratches out. Then just hit it with couple coats of primer and a few coats of gloss white. Finish it off with a few more coats of clear.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Kjmcmurdo on November 14, 2017, 02:49:05 PM
Thank you, Jeff.  I'm gonna try Black.  The ringer gongs are currently black, should i leave them black or remove the paint so the brass could give some CONTRAST? Or, were they usually black?

Personally, if painting it black, getting the bells and other pieces finished in nickel would look best.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Babybearjs

I love that you took an old unit and restored it to working order, adding the dial makes it really usable. did you keep all the guts as they were? based on what I could see, they mimick a WE/NE 307C... the 104 coil and all... hows the audio on them? do they sound ok when talked on?
John

mazda_matt

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 14, 2017, 03:49:37 PM
I love that you took an old unit and restored it to working order, adding the dial makes it really usable. did you keep all the guts as they were? based on what I could see, they mimick a WE/NE 307C... the 104 coil and all... hows the audio on them? do they sound ok when talked on?

We had to swap out the network for a 101b and the switch pile (original only had 3 terminal and we needed 4). Stock ringer and condenser. I haven't had time to finish the wiring yet, but it will be comparable to a 302 when complete.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320