News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm tieing the knot! (Receiver & Handset Cord Knot's that is)

Started by Greg G., January 15, 2010, 02:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Ha, ha! No, not THAT knot!   ::)  On my hotel phone, the receiver cord had a fancy-shmancy knot with a little loop the hooked on the restrainer hook.  I had to undo it to get the receiver parts off to soak them in Oxyclean, wondering now if that was such a good idea, it was a pain to re-string the receiver cord.

Anyway, can anybody give instruction on how to re-tie that knot?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I believe the normal practice for the cord stays is a standard square knot.  Maybe some telephone installer that was an ex-Eagle Scout with knot-tying as a merit badge did that one originally.

I think in practice those cords were replaced by many, many people, all who had various skills in knot tying.

There is a diagram in one of the books I have that shows some examples.  I can check for you.

-Bill G

bingster

Her are the instructions, from the TCI library:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/cordswots.pdf
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
The link didn't work for me.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

bingster

Sorry...  I pasted it twice.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Those links don't work anymore, but here is the doc.  Now I'm looking for the other end, the restraint knot that goes around the receiver element (different phone).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

davidbholcomb

Quote from: Brinybay on January 07, 2013, 07:09:14 PM
Those links don't work anymore, but here is the doc.  Now I'm looking for the other end, the restraint knot that goes around the receiver element (different phone).

Thanks for posting the pdf. The knot is known as a clove hitch.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

poplar1

For a WE 143 or 144 receiver you tie the leads in a square knot then connect them.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on January 07, 2013, 07:30:42 PM
For a WE 143 or 144 receiver you tie the leads in a square knot then connect them.

I'm working on my AE hotel phone, it has a restraint string that goes around the receiver element, but unfortunately, I didn't get a good pic of it.  I probably thought it looked easy enough to remember, but now I don't remember.  I can't seem to get the TCI library search function to cooperate.

Actually, I just used the diagram in this thread and it worked.  I formed the loops around the "u-bar" (for lack of a better word to call it) of the receiver element and that worked ok.
- Mike Row
e

teka-bb

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/