News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another AE 80 Telephone but it's Dead

Started by GTElover, January 12, 2013, 03:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTElover

Came across another AE telephone in a tan/beige colour.  The markings on the bottom looks like
882210 CXX  on the next line 8-67-10 can anybody help with a wiring diagram.  I tried copying the wiring from my light blue AE from 1973, but appear to be wired differently.

Any gratly appreciated
Regards
Matt

AE_Collector

Hi Matt:

Are you sure the base code isn't 802210 rather than 882210? It probably is an NB model so should be NB802210 thought the 4th and 5th digits (21) are for "Antique White" where as your AE 80 is "Sand Beige". I don't think that they made these older models in Antique White, that was a newer color from the AE 80E era. Now I am trying to remember if the color codes in the 20-29 range were for the two tone colored AE phones.

Your AE 80 from 1973 is likely an "NC" model rather than an "NB", thus the slight differences in wiring.

8-67-10  indicates August 1967 with the 10 at the end being a wild card. It isn't known if that number relates to a plant or a shift etc.

Here are wiring diagrams that I just copied from the TCI Document Library and posted in the new "Wiring Diagrams" Board here on CRPF.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8510.0

Terry

JubileeCompact

Hi that could be the numbers they are quite worn.  My phone is a dark tan/beige colour.  The picture is just a stock photo.  Thanks for that I'll take a gander at those.

Regards
Matt
Seamus

GTElover

Hi I brought and AE 80 just before Christmas and appears to be non working.  It's wired correctly and is in real good condition but is completely dead.   It has the WA1154A style network and is from 1973.  Any clues to the fault.

Kind
Regards
Matt

Phonesrfun

Hellow, Doctor?  I am feeling sick.  What's wrong with me?

Matt: 

We need a bit more information.  For instance, was it working before?  Is the line cord in tact?  I would start with the line cord or the jack you are plugging it into to see if those are good.  If you plug another phone that you know works into the jack, does that phone work?

It's a matter of starting with the point where you plug the phone in and working your way through the wire, up to the phone and then working through the phone.  In other words, it could be just about anything.

PS.  I couldn't help but poking fun at the question.  Please don't take offense
-Bill G

poplar1

When Larry McDonald, a physician, was running for Congress, a man at a campaign stop in North Georgia asked him,

"Doc, can you diagnose what's wrong with me?"
McDonald replied, "Well, what symptoms are you having?"
The man answered, "You tell me, you are the doctor."
McDonald then said, "You're right, I AM a doctor---not a veterinarian!"
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

Make sure that the hookswitch actuator is not stuck in the down position.
It can get that way if the phone has been dropped.  It is also made to do that if you push it all the way down to turn off the phone for servicing.  Just simply lift it up. (The thing that gets pushed by the plungers in the handset cradle)
I'm assuming that you are referring to the regular AE80.
Howard
Howard

GTElover

Have located the problem, stripped the phone tested everything it finally came down to one of the components on the network.  The circled component is at fault so I'm going to have to get a working network of find a replacement component.  This is the only component that failed to get a reading from a multimeter.  I tested the same component of my other AE 80's and they all get a reading. 

Anybody have any suggestions

Regards
Matt

stub

Matt,
       I can check to see if I have an extra , if I can find them, WA 1154 A network. It will be this evening before I get a chance to look.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

What were you measuring?  If you measure resistance, you will not get a reading because the DC resistance for a capacitor is infinite.  Do you see any breaks on the bottom on the network board?

Larry

GTElover

Hi Larry

I tested all the components for continuity only not for resistance.

Kind regards
Matt

HowardPgh

Larry,
You can check a capacitor with an ohmeter and get a general idea of its condition.  Set meter for highresistance (R X !000).  connect to one lead of the cap then touch the other lead of the cap, you should first see an initial rush of current then the meter will work its way to infinity as the cap charges.  The speed at which it does this depends on the size (mFd, uFd value).  You can see this effect best on an analog meter. Also this only works when the cap is out of the circuit.
GTElover,
Like Larry says check for a bad trace on the board or a bad or cold solder joint at one of the components.
Howard
Howard

Phonesrfun

Components should not be checked while in the circuit, due to the fact that they are usually all connected to something else.  Unsoldering and isolating the components is the only way to check them.

Having said that, unless the phone took a lightning strike, I don't think it is likely to be the network.  They almost never fail.  

I would check wiring and switch hook connections first.  And oh yes check to make sure someone hasn't robbed the transmitter and receiver elements ftom the handset, and that they are connected.  Check the handset cord wires for continuity (isolated, of course), and make sure they are connected to the right place on the network board. Check all wiring on the board for proper placement.  Check the hookswitch for proper action.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Continuity is the inverse of resistance, and therefore infinite resistance means no continuity.  What the other members stated is also true.  Your meter may briefly indicate continuity for a capacitor as the voltage from the meter charges the capacitor, but measuring resistance of components in a circuit can give meaningless results because there may be other electrical paths through the circuit aside from the component you are trying to measure.

The best way to troubleshoot a phone is to try replacing each part (eg. handset, cords, ringer, etc.) with one which is know to be good until the problem goes away.

Larry

GTElover

Hi everybody

A big thankyou to all those people that helped with my problem with the AE80, finally some progress as it turns out there is nothing wrong with the network on this phone, also there is nothing wrong with any other component except the handset cord that somewhere there is a break in the cabling, perhaps at the mouthpiece end as the wires inside the receiver look to have been bleached, but none of the other AE80 I have, have this bleaching.  Its about one inch long on each of the four wires (very odd).  I just didn't take to much notice a first.

Anyhow I am now on the lookout for a yellow (hard wired) coiled handset cord to replace the damaged one.

Kind Regards
Matt